Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FlightRN

Scoped Johnson for Austalian sniper use

8 posts in this topic

Good Day All,

I was reading through "One Shot Kills: A History of Australian Army Sniping" by G Wahlert and R Linwood and came across a short comment on Johnson rifles that had been scoped during WW2 for the Australians.  I'm familiar with the Pattern 1918 scope since I have a Lithgow No1 MkIII H.T. and am curious about how they mounted it on a Johnson rifle and if it was similar to the claw mounts used on the Pattern 14(T) and H.T. rifles.  Does anyone have additional pictures of these supossed Johnson scoped rifles?  According the book, a few were so modified.

Regards,

Michael 

20220620_091207.jpg

JED6EpZ.jpeg

FlightRN: While I will let the 'research' experts handle your questions about scoped JSAR in other theaters, I would like to comment about the cherry  rifle/scope/scope case/rifle chest/camouflage netting setup that you do have. A really nice looking rifle and al in amazing condition. A nice piece of history. Do you shoot it? How is the accuracy? I will bet that it gets some attention at the range as well.

I suppose anything is possible, but I'd love to see some convincing corroborating evidence regarding Australian use of scoped-mounted Johnson rifles. Also, the initial verbiage in the book regarding the USMC and the Johnson rifle is not entirely accurate.

If anyone is interested, AMAZON link for book

Or a possible link for a free download PDF file?

3 hours ago, Bruce Canfield said:

I suppose anything is possible, but I'd love to see some convincing corroborating evidence regarding Australian use of scoped-mounted Johnson rifles. Also, the initial verbiage in the book regarding the USMC and the Johnson rifle is not entirely accurate.

The book is centric to the history, small arms, and tactics used by Australia during its various conflicts and peacetime missions.  Mr Canfield had access to a wealth of information on the subject of Johnson rifles. The authors of this book likely did not and were focused in other areas.  However,  if additional information can be found on these possible in-extremis wartime variations, it would be a good addition to the overall 1941 Johnson history. 

I'll toss my hat in the ring and see if few emails to the Australian Army History Unit bears fruit.  I'm hoping they can provide a picture of the opposite side of the rifle and a better idea of how many might have been "converted."

Regards 

Michael 

23 hours ago, ArtR said:

FlightRN: While I will let the 'research' experts handle your questions about scoped JSAR in other theaters, I would like to comment about the cherry  rifle/scope/scope case/rifle chest/camouflage netting setup that you do have. A really nice looking rifle and al in amazing condition. A nice piece of history. Do you shoot it? How is the accuracy? I will bet that it gets some attention at the range as well.

Thank you Art,

In 2001, i reached out to a dealer in Australia who used to advertise in te GCA Journal.  After some back and forth discussions, I purchased the rifle and worked with Simpsons as the importing agent.  The paperwork was submitted in the first week of September, 2001.  Needless to say, everything ground to a snails pace and I finally received the rifle around 9 mths later.  The Lithgow No1 MkIII H.T.  is matching and unfortunately,  still unfired by me. The transit crate is not original.  I later found out correct crates were built for a pair of rifles.  One day,  I hope to see what this rifle will do at the range.

If you look at the picture of the Australian scoped Johnson,  the mounts look like the same used on the Pattern 1914 and later on the HT rifles.

Mike

YA3iikb.jpegaBMKPBI.jpeg

Good Day All,

After corresponding with the authors of "One Shot Kills..." and a number of other published authors and museum, I've received some interesting information.  The incoming curator of one national museum in particular stated they have several standard configuration M1941 rifles in their collection, and recalls two in particular that were fitted with optics, with another painted in jungle green paint as was commonwealth practice in the pacific to preserve the metal and camouflage of sorts.

It will be many months (perhaps early next year) before they can pull the requested documents and provide pictures of the rifles in question. The staff is undergoing a turnover due to retirements. Im hopeful this research might turn up a previously unknown chapter in the history and use of the JSAR.

I will remain in contact with them in the meantime.

Best Regards,

Michael 

Michael.

May I extend many thanks to you, from the forum, for reaching out to get more information on this new and exciting new chapter in the JSAR history. I for one, will wait patiently to hear what you might learn. And the potential for photos of museum pieces is also exciting. Any updates I am sure will be welcomed by all.

ArtR