barkerka

M1941 in Suriname circa 1941 ?

2 posts in this topic

I was recently doing some research on the production of aluminum and the sources of used in the manufacture of US aircraft, come to find out 60% came from the small South American country of Suriname, but that is another story.  As I searched around I pulled up Wikipedia to see what it had to tell me...   Suriname was a Dutch Protectorate at the time, as was the Dutch West Indies (Indonesia), and in order to protect the Suriname bauxite /aluminum industry military troops were moved there from the USA and the Dutch West Indies, some estimates as high as 8,000 troops.   

As I reviewed I came across this photo of Dutch East Indies soldiers in country with their shiny M1941 Johnson's complete with bayonets.  I had to take a second look just to confirm, I find this photo one of the few that is clear and focused enough to see the arms in detail.   

Pardon me if it has been posted before, but it is worth a look in any event.1280px-Nederlands_West-Indië._Suriname._Bezoek_prins_Bernhard._Inlandse_soldaten_staan_,_Bestanddeelnr_935-1564.jpg

Hi barkerka

While I do not have the 'history' of that photo at hand, it has been displayed here before. I am sure another member will refer to the source and such.