Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kennethg

another bayonet thread

7 posts in this topic

I bought this 7-8 years ago. Does anybody have any idea where these numbers came from and what they might be  for? 

Edited by kennethg
to delete photographs

Any numbers stamped/impressed into metal on bayonets have little or no meaning other than to whomever did it in the first place. None were ever done when manufactured. Such numbers do little if anything to affect value.

ArtR

thanks for your response. using the some of the links in this forum does make me aware that  " None were ever done when manufactured. Such numbers do little if anything to affect value".

I just haven't seen bayonets in any of the photographs that I have seen with numbers like mine has and thought that someone on this forum would have some idea where it might have been so marked. 

I have three Bayonets and they all have numbers like the ones on yours.  I've heard various theories on where they got the numbers but have not seen anything definitive

Bayonets with stamped numbers do show up frequently, and as a general rule, the inquirers are told that they hold no significant value.

Quoting from the Bruce Canfield book, "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns', p.97, "While the bayonet and scabbard were unmarked at the factory, some may be seen today with a four-digit number stamped on either or both. This was presumably done by the Dutch colonial troops who were issued the Johnson rifles."

Just be grateful that you have probably an original bayonet of questionable lineage, if that works. Enjoy just the same.

And, quoting a post by Walt Liss back in February, 2006:

"Guys,

It doesn't make a hill of beans as whether or not a Johnson bayonet is numbered. Some collectors would prefer un-numbered bayonets and an un-numbered bayo and scabbard in decent shape will bring a higher price depending on condition. Numbers were stamped not etched. Un-numbered was the way they left JA. Should one find two or three sets of numbers stamped only means it may have gone to another person or rifle. If the digits are as you reported etched then YES it will detract from the price. Does it make it totally worthless ? Jim says NO and I agree with him 100%. As I had previously stated these number were stamped in not etched. Don't let anyone tell you different. .....

walt B)"