camstuff

Off topic: This heat!

7 posts in this topic

This picture was taken yesterday I believe. I use to think my younger brother was the smart one. Him and friend drove out to Death Valley just to take a picture of the thermometer.   He says the record was 134 in July 1913.  I have to say, I kind of want to go just for a picture myself. 

17967E8B-B06A-4DBE-8CCC-12611B5471D8.jpeg

Insane for sure. I remember being in Las Vegas and it was 122F and that was hot enough for me

Being from Maryland and living in Ohio for 35 years, I'm used to heat with high humidity. I remember going to AZ to visit my grandparents many years ago. It was very hot but such low humidity made it feel strange. It just didn't feel as hot. The neatest thing was going places that had water misting on you which felt fantastic. Cooled you down real quick to have that water evaporate immediately.

I'll stick with below 100 degree mid-west temps, thank you!

Yeah. In LV there were water misters installed everywhere. When running, the mist hit your body, evaporated almost instantaneously, cooling you at the same time. A lot of maintenance though, as some of the water out there was quite hard, and as it evaporates, the minerals crystalize and clog any hole or port. At my sisters place, we had two sets of nozzles. One installed and the other in a solution to dissolve the mineral crystals.

I’ve seen Vegas have freezing weather and the extreme heat like Art mentioned. Freezing I can handle, but when it gets to 90+, I need to plan on doing my chores in the early mornings or late afternoons and in the shaded areas as much as possible, along with plenty of breaks in the cool house. 

Been there done that, visited that visitor center. It was hot but not as hot as Tallil Iraq where it reached 140 one day.

140,  Yep that would be absolutely miserable. Must of been hard on you.