Rarecat

Prototype Johnson Type R Carbine

10 posts in this topic

As seen on Guns International.....   I'm not sure I buy this story.  I'd like to see the other side of the lower....and the internals

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/johnson-automatic-rifles/holy-grail-prototype-johnson-type-r-carbine-one-of-one.cfm?gun_id=102397895

I was having trouble with the link, This one seems to work for me.  It’s a nice looking rifle. Even has the receiver specially stamped. I would of thought the bore would of been like new condition though. But still a nice rifle. 

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/johnson-automatic-rifles/holy-grail-prototype-johnson-type-r-carbine-one-of-one.cfm?gun_id=102397895

This is another fake using some LMG parts.  As can be easily ascertained from the attached photo, the stock of the Auto-Carbine was quite different in configuration from the LMG stock.  Also JAMCO did not use  "X" prefixes for their prototypes but used a :"S" (Sample) instead.

D-C3-176.jpg

Last seen in RIA Premier Auction Cat #50  Sep 2010 Sold $5175

Somebody will unfortunately 'buy the story' and the gun.  They have before.

Well I've surly pissed off the seller as I told him it was a fake.

45 minutes ago, eb in oregon said:

I think the seller needs to know the true facts and history. 

1 hour ago, eb in oregon said:

Sure you have. You have reduced his possible sale to about zero! I sure hope that he did not pay too much for it. Always buy the gun, not the story!

4 hours ago, ArtR said:

As per Bruce Canfield, the acknowledged source of everything "Johnson." The weird thing is that if listed as a reproduction it would still sell for more than a JSAR these days in my opinion.

I would agree with your opinion... Some people knowingly go the big bucks for nicely done "creatures".