41JohnsonBob

New Member - 41JohnsonBob

7 posts in this topic

Thanks to Jim the Web Administrator for allowing me to join your group. There is a ton of good information here.

I have had my 41 Johnson (A37XX) since 2011 and had only shot it once since that time. It failed to push the next rounds all the way into the chamber. I shot it at the range on Thursday to confirm the problem. Fortunately I had purchased a new recoil/master spring (from Wolfe I think) for it years ago, so decided to install it today. The slotted buffer under the butt plate would not turn. I didn’t want to damage it, so a friend gave me a large 1” wide screwdriver bit (1/2” drive) and I ground it down until it fit the slot perfectly….and then was able to screw the black steel buffer out of the tube in the butt stock. The old spring had really compressed in the last 82 years. The new spring was about 2” longer. It also still had some gunk in it, so it got a good cleaning and lubrication as well. I will test fire it tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed 🤞.

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1095.jpeg

IMG_1098.jpeg

IMG_1099.jpeg

Your right, tons of great information here and a bunch of great guys here as well.  
 From what I’ve learned here from Joseph Scott is that the spring should be 12” long. So you may want to check that. I do like your tool for the buffer removal. 

Many of us had difficulty removing the spring cover. You did well. Should shoot better now.

Welcome to the best (and only) dedicated Johnson Model 1941 rifle forum!

Well, test fired the old Johnson today and still having failures to feed. It appears the magazine is not presenting the cartridge 

correctly, and the bolt head goes over the rear end of the cartridge. I found a gunsmith in the St. Louis metro area where I live

(via referral from other gunsmiths) called Helix that has worked on these rifles, and has even fabricated parts for them. Their lead time is 5-6 weeks, which isn’t bad these days for a competent gunsmith.

IMG_1103.jpeg

IMG_1102.jpeg

IMG_1101.jpeg

Let us know what he finds. Having a competent gun smith with experience with Johnson Model 1941 rifles is rare. Good luck. Probably something simple like crud in the chamber.

After looking at your picture, I don’t see the rear cross pin. Both the front and rear cross pins hold the magazine in place. If your missing one, the magazine could be out of alignment causing the issue.  The other pieces to consider is the magazine cover spring, the follower and magazine spring. Perhaps they are not installed correctly or possibly damaged. See attached pictures for reference. 

by the way you are missing the front retainer clip for the cross pin. 

245CBADC-52F6-4433-8C21-7F751C3FEE6D.jpeg

75A56B15-116E-4BB6-8405-196B7FCB40A1.jpeg

463D2BEA-5288-4801-A0A1-A9665E5206B2.jpeg

WHIG, I will definitely post the results of its trip to the gunsmith, as well as my experiences with Helix Gunsmithing.

camstuff, both front and rear pins are present, but as you indicated the retainer for the front pin is not present. It’s still in place well, but I will begin a search for that little metal part. More heads on this stuff is definitely better than one. Thank you both!

Bob