ArtR

01/03/2024 New Link For Items Seen

75 posts in this topic

SN B5205 on GB  sold 2/14/2024 BIN $6500

SN B6408 on GB  Sold $7675 2/27/2024

SN B2752 seen on GunBroker. Missing rear leaf sight, drilled and tapped with some filled drill holes. No bayo lug. Little spring steel tab missing for the front cross pin. Butt pad appears old/hard. Metal mostly worn, pitted, showing rust in places. Rear sling swivel incorrect. Current wood not too bad. Hard to discern all screws, but some questionable.

Sold 3/3/2024 $5548

3 hours ago, ArtR said:

SN B2752 seen on GunBroker. Missing rear leaf sight, drilled and tapped with some filled drill holes. No bayo lug. Little spring steel tab missing for the front cross pin. Butt pad appears old/hard. Metal mostly worn, pitted, showing rust in places. Rear sling swivel incorrect. Current wood not too bad. Hard to discern all screws, but some questionable.

Looks like a stock lamination is about to separate, too. 

1 hour ago, tsmgguy said:

Looks like a stock lamination is about to separate, too. 

Good catch.  Definitely looks like that cheek is lifting. 

JSAR with no bayo lug up on GB. No discernible SN seen in photos. Photos of low quality. Have queried seller. SN is 4805

Seller of 4805 describes "Rifle as is, barrel shot out".  As Art states, poor photos.  BIN price $7600.00.  Makes you go hmmmmm.

Troubling that the six word description of condition is all he gives, but goes on a diatribe about the history and development. 

SN B0139 on GunBroker...being sold as either project or parts gun....look carefully at photos

6 hours ago, ArtR said:

SN B0139 on GunBroker...being sold as either project or parts gun....look carefully at photos

Wow, what a mess

It sure is!  That's gotta be one for the bubba record book.  Looking at the radiator, I'm guessing he was a Planters Peanut fan. 

7 hours ago, Rarecat said:

Wow, what a mess

Yep, and all we can see is the exterior, imagine what bubba did to the interior! 

SN 0053 back again, this time Proxibid.com (Lock Stock and Barrel)

SN B4285 on Proxibid (Montrose Auctions)

SN 8233 back on GB last seen 2020

SN 4256 on GB sporter

On 2/12/2024 at 5:30 PM, tinsoldier said:

WOW! that was quick, hopefully they'll end up on here, if they're not already, and we can all get a closer look.

That would be me. I've been on the hunt for a nice JSAR for a while now and when I saw the listing pop up, for all the reasons you all mentioned, red flags were raised right away. That said, Gunbroker can't force me to send money to anyone, so the possible outcomes were:

1. It's an obvious scam and I don't pay.
  2. It's not a scam but the seller can't provide sufficient proof of legitimacy and I walk anyways, maybe take a little bad feedback.
  3. The seller turns out to be legitimate and I get what I think is a nice deal on a good looking rifle.

I'm very happy to report that this was the 3rd outcome. Seller is a great individual, just a collector in a unique circumstance. Anyways, got the rifle in hand finally last week and it's overall in very nice condition. I'll share some more photos and parts details later. The parkerizing is great, the bore is nice and shiny, everything seems to be there and functioning. The only flaws besides normal handling marks in the wood are two small patch repairs in the stock on the right side, a small split inside the right hand inletting around the fire control box and 2 small splits around the toe end of the butt. I believe the recoil spring plug in the back end of the stock is also a replacement as well since it takes a 1/2 hex wrench instead of a flat head driver.

Otherwise, it's great. Once I got it in, I stripped it down fully to nuts and bolts, ultrasonic cleaned all the metal and reoiled/greased, put a little BLO on the stock and then reassembled. Will put some M2 ball through it shortly to see how she runs. Couldn't be happier with how it ended up. I've been a collector of early Armalite/Colt AR-10's and AR-15's, so it seemed only natural to have a 1941 Johnson given how much of the design was incorporated by Stoner, but I think I've started to catch the bug for JSARs now too.

Congrats!  Glad it worked out well and welcome to the forum!

1 hour ago, ringer706 said:

That would be me.

Hey there ringer706 and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you did your homework and your follow up sounds solid as well. We all will be interested in hearing your range report and also seeing some photos, if you get the time. Enjoy.

Also, if you do not have a copy of "the book", it is highly recommended, and per Bruce Canfield, it may be in short supply soon, and/or pricey.

I gave it the 'ol college try that's for sure. Not to muddy up the discussion here, I'll start a new post on all the details when I get a moment to take photos. Thanks!

And speaking of "the book", my copy showed up in the mail today. I saw Bruce's post and figured I shouldn't miss the opportunity.

BBBQ: Thanks much for the links. Wow!   4 non-prefix SN's that we have not seen on previous auctions. Let's hope future buyers contact us. There is production log data on all 4.

Note:

BBBQ's new list of items:

SN 1040 the bolt may be original to the rifle

As photo images are not very clear, I cannot definitively say so, but possibly SN 0858 has an original bolt

SN A5405 seen on GunBroker

SN 7126 seen on GunBroker, (Miltech???? parkerizing just too sharp) also something strange on photo #28, Bolt original to rifle

6 hours ago, ArtR said:

SN 7126 seen on GunBroker, (Miltech???? parkerizing just too sharp) also something strange on photo #28, Bolt original to rifle

Yes, light gray fresh parkerizing, extra set of pin grooves between the bayo lug and front sight, and the front forend screw looks to be backed out a bunch.  ?????????

SN B6141 a sporter, back on GB. Recently sold Feb 2024 for $3000

SN B2327 on GunBroker

SN B8645 on GunBroker, somehow I missed this one