RWWJ

Johnson M1941 Serial No 3829

18 posts in this topic

HI Guys

I am very pleased to be a new member of this group so thank you all. I would like to share the details of a new much treasured addition to my family, any information anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated please, the only visible damage is the bayonet lug, and it came with a reproduction sling

Many thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Richard    

Johnson e.jpg

Johnson f.jpg

Johnson g.jpg

Johnson h.jpg

Johnson i.jpg

Johnson a.JPG

Johnson c.JPG

Looks like a nice old war horse that saw some use for it's intended purpose.  Buttstock is a replacement, IMO.  You're missing the front cross pin, and the retaining clip that's pinned to the forend, not uncommon for a battle rifle.  Currently, there's a pin listed on ebay for $24.95

20240324_170231.jpg

Welcome to the site.

Looks nice, its a non prefix, so when you get a chance disassemble and post part numbers, there are a few members that can tell you how many and which ones are original to the gun, always fun to learn.

Phil

Hi Phil and Tin Soldier 

Thank you very much for the advice and feed back, i am about to head away for a week however when i get back i am looking forward to stripping her down and checking everything out so i will get some photos of the serial numbers and get back to you all asap. Its great to have a new addition to the family(so to speak) in which the parts can be so well identified and verified, greatly appreciated 

Cheers

Richard    

11 hours ago, RWWJ said:

Hi Phil and Tin Soldier 

Thank you very much for the advice and feed back, i am about to head away for a week however when i get back i am looking forward to stripping her down and checking everything out so i will get some photos of the serial numbers and get back to you all asap. Its great to have a new addition to the family(so to speak) in which the parts can be so well identified and verified, greatly appreciated 

Cheers

Richard    

That's the nice thing about having a non-prefix rifle, ArtR can tell you what's what as to originality, as matconcrete said.

The letter prefix guns are anybody's guess at the moment.  Anyway, welcome aboard!

Hi RWWJ and welcome to the forum.

As you have already seen, members are very friendly and helpful.

The following information is provided from the production logs:

Receiver SN 3829, Received From: Cranston Arms, Date Received 12/16/1941, Stock No. none Barrel No. 2364E, Hammer Block No. 3914, Hammer No. 2949, Bolt No.  5229, Locking Cam No. 3793, Firing Pin No. 4117,  Extractor No. 3313,  Magazine No. 4868, Disposition Date 12/17/1941, Transferred to J.A. Inc - N.P.C

Without proper and reliable provenance, be very careful about claims of both ownership and usage.

We look forward to any more photos and reports on SN results.

ArtR

10 minutes ago, tsmgguy said:

Welcome!

The magazine cover spring should be a leaf of spring steel rather than the coil spring shown in your photo, It's part number 31 in the schematic and list shown here:

Johnson Semi-Auto 1941 Schematic | Numrich (gunpartscorp.com)

Nice catch!!

Hi Guys 

Apologies for the delay, things have been a little busy here so i have only just managed to strip the old girl down, i have attached a few photos for you, a couple do not want to up load so i will have a look at those in the morning as it has been a big day. It appears that the barrel, firing pin, and magazine have been swapped, as for the extractor, i am guessing that the 4 may have been misread as a 1 as the other bolt numbers match however i would well be wrong. I sincerely appreciate all of your help and assistance.

Cheers 

Richard 

PS many thanks again for allowing me to join the group 

IMG_9756(1).JPG

IMG_9757.JPG

IMG_9759(1).JPG

IMG_9761(1).JPG

IMG_9765(1).JPG

Screenshot 2024-04-13 172507.png

IMG_9760(1).JPG

Hey RWWJ, having 4 parts match the receiver is pretty darn good. Only a few other owners have been able to claim more, with a very few having all the correct parts, which is extremely rare.

Great job on your acquisition. As others have pointed out, there are a few minor issues. You should really acquire the front cross pin. While the locking tab would be nice, you might be able to get by maybe by fashioning one out of thin sheet metal. I will try and find a photo of a complete one for reference.

Hi ArtR 

Thank you very much, i believe this is the front cross pin ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/266549555475 if so i will have to see if i can get one here as there are a lot of new rules about shipping parts out of the US and in New Zealand. I will keep digging on the the other locking tab to, failing that i will ask my gunsmith, as he has a repair to do in the split bayonet lug and being ex NZ forces has an eye for detail too. 

Cheers 

Richard 

Hi TinSoldier

Thank you for you input and feed back also, i have not figured out how to reply to an individual post yet so will keep trying, meantime you you mind sharing what a IMO Buttstock is please ?

many thanks 

Richard 

PS i have just discovered that if i hide my location behind a VPN i can view the Numrich website so happy days i will see if i can find my missing parts on there :-)

51 minutes ago, RWWJ said:

Hi TinSoldier

Thank you for you input and feed back also, i have not figured out how to reply to an individual post yet so will keep trying, meantime you you mind sharing what a IMO Buttstock is please ?

many thanks 

Richard 

PS i have just discovered that if i hide my location behind a VPN i can view the Numrich website so happy days i will see if i can find my missing parts on there :-)

IMO = In my opinion.  It's just part of the jargon we yanks use.:lol:

34 minutes ago, tinsoldier said:

IMO = In my opinion.  It's just part of the jargon we yanks use.:lol:

:D:D thanks for clarifying that i should have guessed 

Richard.

The piece(s) in question, which allows securing the front cross pin tab to the stock ,  on most diagrams does not seem to have either a 'description' or a replacement source. However, one of the 'original' JSAR parts lists does list two parts that quite well may be the pieces in question. Many years ago, I was able to find one complete piece with spiral screw to replace the broken piece on my rifle. I saved the old piece, and include 2 photos of that piece, along with the original spiral nail with which it was attached to the stock. I have circled in the photo the part where it was broken off from mine. It broke at the widest part of the part. I believe that is was made out of some thin spring steel or the like.

20240324_170231.thumb.jpg.4ec7c6000c564c0e73921083aadbb426a.jpgE313D543-0E66-43E1-90AC-4776630DF909.jpeg.7e05e1c29b4c88d9780c847373d3ee76b.jpegScreenshot from 2024-04-13 14-33-22.pngDSC_2039A.JPGDSC_2044B.JPGto replace the 'broken'

The cross pins show as two separate parts on some parts lists, however, I believe maybe Joe Scott said, dimensionally, they are identical. You could probably test this theory.

Hi ArtR that is a huge help thank you very much for sharing, i will start looking and see if i can find one :-) it looks like the spiral nail has worked loose by the size of the hole in the stock however i may be mistaken as my wifes tells me i always am

Cheers :-) 

Screenshot 2024-04-15 065917.png

Hi RWWJ

You are correct. That is a "huge" hole. The spiral nail is not very big or thick. I will try and get some measurements from that 'old broken' piece that I have, so that it might help, if you find someway or someone to assist in getting/making a part.

ArtR