Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walt

41 up for sale

5 posts in this topic

Guys,

Wandering around the net this morning I found the following up for sale on Tombstonearms.com

JA rifle # 1082

Three sub assemblies match the production log they are:

Bolt 8947

Locking cam 6245

Magazine 6907

The rest of the sub assemblies are mismatched.

The metal finish appears to be pretty thin in some parts

Both stocks have been replaced (nice job)

This JR is up for grabs for anybody with really deep pockets. ($7200.00).

If you get a chance check out Canfields Corner at brucecanfield.com. In Mr. Canfields third paragraph he writes of other examples of military weapons which can be gotten for a lesser cash outlay. Canfields corner articles provide a great read and good food for thought.

For the Johnson collector there are not alot of other examples

For those of us whose pockets are not so deep maybe the Miltech 41s, or ones done by John Darling, or Joe Scott and the Winfield sporters aren't a bad deal after all. They are less money, handle the same, shoot the same if not at times better than some original rifles I have seen and handled, and it's still a JR. So what if it's been redone. Who does it bother? Certainly not I nor should it bother anyone else. I have 2 in my collection of 14 Johnsons which are Miltechs. I value them just as much as my originals. When taken to the range they are still an eye catcher.

But this is only my opinion

walt B)

That's the one . . .

I really have no intention on parting with this one.

That's why it's up for that price.

(I know I probably overpaid as well, but I really wanted one and this came along and I just decided that I'd held off long enough on a Johnson).

If it does happen to sell (to a weaker soul than me) then I'll just start the hunt for another one.

Do I think it's worth $7,200 . . . No.

Do I hope it sells? Not really.

Not out of the price range-some have sold for more. The Gunrunner in Ohio sold one with a replacement barrel this month for $6100, Cabelas has one for $6999, and another sold at auction with a bayonet for $8225 (including the buyer's premium).

Tstone,

If you really don't want to sell it I'm curious is to why you posted it on your website at that price. Was it expected to sell to some uninformed new collector because of current hign prices? I'm all for an businessperson making a reasonable profit on something. Not taken advantage of them. I'm in agreement with George Foreman who said "Don't pay alot for that muffler" In my opinion you did.

walt B)