Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Lamoreaux

JLMGs Imported by WAC/IAC

1 post in this topic

I am able to account for 83 M1941 JLMGs transferred to or from International Armament Corp. These were apparently purchased by IAC (Sam Cummings) from Western Arms Corp. for prices ranging from $20 (yes: TWENTY DOLLARS) to $50.00 apiece (1955-57). There were 264 of these held in the New York Foreign Trade Zone and owned by Western Arms Corp. in 1953-54. Of the 83 that I can account for, seven were DEWATed. The JLMG that I once owned (s/n 1201) was transfered from the FTZ to IAC (warehouse then at 202 South Strand St., Alexandria, VA) on January 3, 1957. In 1953 (specific date unknown), IAC prchased 100 JSARs from WAC. Of these, 15 had an "A" prefix, 55 had a "B" prefix, and 30 had no prefix. These probably sold (wholesale) @ $50.00. Additionally, Cummings, selling for WAC in August 1953, sold 200 JSARs to Charles Colle and George Umphry, 459 Central Ave., East Orange, NJ @ $60.00. They were air freighted from Burbank, CA to Newark Airport, the purchaser explaining that the "material was for rush order due nearness of hunting season. . ." The memo by Cummings states that "After delivery it was indicated by Colle and Umphry that bayonets might possibly be required later for these rifles." For hard to kill Jersey deer? Anyone know who Colle and Umphry were? There is a rumor that they were middle men for a certain government agency...

Bob