JSAR 5038

5 posts in this topic

This is my first JSAR

serial number as above

barrel 7648E

bolt 3974

havent disassembled it any further

The receiver is fully marked for 30-06, the guide collar is marked 30-06 41

The barrel shows no original markings. starting from the top there is a G with a sort of an X and a triangle. Next ,and this is the big one, there is cal-7

next a "tombstone" shape sorrounding an F in the center of 2 h looking marks .

this is topped by a sun looking item.

If the barrel is 7mm seems someone went to a lot of trouble to but a 30-06 collar on it.

I read the thread below and this one is a Navey Arms import

any info would be appreciated

Thanks

The Chilean 7mm variants had parts that were common to the NPC .30 calibre pattern JSAR's, including parts that were marked as 30-06. So if it is 7mm, the collar being marked so is usual, as are the unaltered receiver markings.

It was never thought that these rifles would be re-imported back to the U.S. (or used elsewhere) from Chile, where the 7mm Mauser cartridge was the standard round, so the need to have specially marked 7mm parts made was never contemplated or put into practice.

I believe the only part which is different is the front sight which is slightly higher than the .30 calibre one to adjust in ballistic capabilities of the 7mm round.

Navy arms were the sole importer of these rifles from Chile and they came with a bunch of accessories such as bayonet, scabbard, front sight cover, sling.

My records show that 5038 was a dutch NPC rifle not a Govt. of Chile one.

I would check the chamber out prior to attempting to chamber a round as this will tell you immediatley which calibre barrel you have. Look on the exterior top of the chamber area for any markings such as "JA", "J' and any smaller proof marks as that is were the calibre will be marked.

Thanks.

The rifle came with what I think is a Dutch sling.

I tried to slip a 30-06 round into the chamber with the barrel removed. The round remained extened out of the chamber

as far as chamber markins just the ones mentioned are the only ones I see.

I cant see any thing "JA" or "J"

Guess Im wondring what my next step shoujld be.

thanks again

My Johnson barrel has the forward collar marked .30-06 on the 12 o'clock position and 41 at 6 o'clock. The chamber is stamped 7mm. I believe it is one of the Mexican products that were made for this rifle using Johnson collars. Cordially, Alasdair