Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xsexcess

National Firearms Museum

4 posts in this topic

I stayed over an extra day from a business trip to Washington DC and visited the NRA National Firearms Museum yesterday.

They have two Johnsons, one is a Winfield sporter with a B prefix and the other is a no-prefix in the 8000 range if memory serves in correct military configuration.

It's a nice museum for those who may not have visited. A little outside the cluster of museums in the central DC area. I took the Metro to Vienna VA, then a taxi to the museum in Fairfax VA.

Condition of the Winfield unit was good. It has been stripped/blued. It had a replaced front sight (commercial/hooded) and rubber buttpad (aging).

The military configuration unit is in about good condition. It shows varying finish levels on parts (finish mis-matches) and some missing finish from wear at the expected places.

I was a little disappointed in the information provided. One of the most interesting things for me is the history of a particular piece. Computers are provided so you can take the case number and the rifle number and search on the displayed piece. But the information provided is pretty minimal. The Johnson text was about two lines. No discussion of the Netherlands, just a brief mention it was unsuccessful against the Garand, and that it saw limited use with the US Marines.

The Canfield book is available (with pasted in autograph) in the museum store.

Mike Cobb

I visited the NRA museum a year or two ago (to view the Thompson s.m.g. exhibit). Found one JSAR -- military. Really looked "beat-up". Somehow missed the Winfield. Regardless, this is a really neat museum. Ordnance Museum at Aberdeen Proving Ground is another worthwhile visit, but I'm not sure how accessible it is due to post-9/11 and war restrictions on access to military installations. The JSAR at the Ordnance Museum is "interesting"! Parts missing, make-shift parts installed. . . The Marine Corps Air and Ground Museum (new facility called the Marine Corps Heritage Museum to open in November) had some nice displays including JSAR and M1941 JLMG.

The museum at the Ordinanace school is still open to the public. I was there in 2003. You have to stop at the main gate and register as a visitor, but you can still visit the museum, and wander the vehicle park behind it.

Bob,

The Winfield Johnson is in the case of miscellaneous rifles on the left side as you're walking out the exit.

It didn't appear to have any scope mount or sight mods other than a commercial ramp front.

Opposite this same case was an interesting rifle I'd never seen before. It looked like a 9MM carbine version of a broom handle Mauser.

I have a buddy at work who recently went to Aberdeen, and was able to get the curator of the museum to take him in the 'back room' where they have their gun collection.

He said they did have a Johnson, but he didn't comment on it (he wouldn't have noticed slight deviations from correct).

Mike Cobb