Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridge Runner

Going to have my JAR appraised on Saturday

4 posts in this topic

Going to Kittery Trading Post in Kittery Maine this Saturday.

They are having a free Antique Gun and fishing appraisal show from 10am-6pm.

I thought I would bring my JAR/bayonet & scabbard down to see what they say.

Your comments would be appreciated -

It was a sporterized JAR that has been worked on by Joseph Scott.

New replacement stock from Joseph Scott

M1 Garand barrel that has been parkerized with new front sight and bayonet lug (Again from Joseph Scott)

Receiver and trigger guard is blued

Dutch stamp on receiver

Replacement but plate (Joseph Scott)

Bayonet and Scabbard are original and are in excellent condition.

Any guesses as to its value?

Any guesses as to what they will tell me is the value?

We could make this a contest

An excellent JSAR bayonet and sheath can bring $450 - $500 and perhaps even higher. The sheaths are rarer than the bayonets, and minty original sheaths are very rare indeed.

There are repros out there, and sometimes one will find an original bayo in a repro sheath. Be sure to check the website and carefully read about this before paying too much for a sheath that looks real minty. The differences are easy to spot if you do your homework.

Ridge,

Trying to give an accurate value on items never seen or handled is quite hard to do. The folks at Kittery may or may not tell you what you want to hear. If your rifle looks 60+ years old and nothing has been modified then I would say you should get a decent value. If it looks too new especially with the Garand barrel, then the value may not be what you think it should be. There are still quite allot of folks who have never heard of a JR little lone ever seen one. They may ask you whether you bought it in it's present condition or have you modified it. If the appraiser is sharp he should know whether it is or isn't

I wouldn't expect a stratuspheric value. Maybe what you paid for it or slightly higher.

walt B)

Ridge,

Trying to give an accurate value on items never seen or handled is quite hard to do. The folks at Kittery may or may not tell you what you want to hear. If your rifle looks 60+ years old and nothing has been modified then I would say you should get a decent value. If it looks too new especially with the Garand barrel, then the value may not be what you think it should be. There are still quite allot of folks who have never heard of a JR little lone ever seen one. They may ask you whether you bought it in it's present condition or have you modified it. If the appraiser is sharp he should know whether it is or isn't

I wouldn't expect a stratuspheric value. Maybe what you paid for it or slightly higher.

walt B)

Walt -

Thanks for the comments. I do not expect a high figure. I have no delusions about what I have.

It is a rare rifle that has been modified. I have tried to do the best I could on it.

I do not feel like its owner, just its "caretaker".

I am doing it more for fun than anything.