Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridge Runner

Shot my JAR for the first time today

2 posts in this topic

Well, after a year of buying it, I finally had it out to the range.

It took awhile to save up the money for the restoration, then finding the time to work on the stock, then I lost one of the screws and had to order another one from Joseph Scott. Then I had to find the time to sneak away to the range.

What a great rifle to shoot. Recoil was not bad at all and it holds really well. The sights present an excellent picture. It did however, keep grouping to the right, no matter how much I played with the rear sights.

I determined that I need to drift the rear sights slightly to the left. Other than that, it was grouping very well.

I did notice on my brass that it leaves a very distinctive mark. I small rectangle dent on the edge of the rim face. Is that the same for everyone?

It worked perfectly, handled well, looked great and drew a small crowd at the range.

I can not wait till next week end.

Congratulations, Ridge Runner, it's hard to believe that you had to wait a year to shoot your rifle. You must have been blessed with patience. Yes, many Johnsons suffer from damage to the brass, some more than others but it is repairable and there is a thread on this site that discusses it in detail with very helpful advice from Joe Scott.

Hope you get to shoot your Johnson SAR a lot more in the future and don't you just love the crowds and discussions that it draws? :D

Mike