deserthumvee

2 gun collection

10 posts in this topic

In 1971 I was a junior shooter and was getting into high power matches. I got my required matches under my belt and saved my pennies and sent in to DCM for my M1 Garand. After months of waiting a big heavy cardboard box arrived on the porch via Railway Express. I couldn't wait, as I had the promise from a USMC team armorer to build the match Garand of my dreams. I opened the box and there before me was a brand new, un-issued Johson rifle. This was not good. I brought it to the range that Sunday and got a lot of laughs from the gang on the 200 yd line. After sinking to the depths of despair, an old timer retiree from Springfield Armory, came up and gave me my first education on Johnsons. He said I had received a rare gift and that he did not even know of any Johnsons in the DCM system. He traded me a perfect match grade Garand for it along with 1000 rnds of LC69 match ammo. I have spent the remainder of my life chasing that lost gem!

I currently own two Johnson rifles. The first is ser# B3991 A 30-06 rifle with an original bayonet and scabbard. It is in near un-issued condition with a minty bore and GI sling. No cracks or repairs.

The second is a recently acquired 7mm Navy Arms import ser# 5610 It is in all original un-issued condition with original bayonet W/flat backed Chilean scabbard. It also has an original Johnson sling with the leather tie and series of adjustment eyes. The bore is minty and the barrel has what appears to be Mexican proofs. This gun is in near perfect orig condition and I was quite happy to find it languishing on a table at a recent gun show.

I would appreciate any assistance you can give on ser# information as I am anxious to see if it has "as built" part numbers.

Details for JSAR : 5610

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : 1/28/42

Stock Type: 2

Barrel # 8133E

Hammer Block # 5032

Hammer # 0055A

Bolt # 4786

Locking Cam # 5034

Firing Pin # 4134

Extractor # 5207

Magazine # 6057

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 2/03/42

Contract : Government of Chile

At present the whereabouts of the production logs for the A- and B-series rifles are missing. Hopefully one day they will surface.

Interesting story about your DCM issue rifle. I guess you can't remember the serial number for that one?

It was a real low # with at least the first digit being a 0. Somewhere in my filing system I still have the original DCM paper work and inventory card. Been through four moves since then though. If my memory is correct, the inventory card said source: Srpingfield Armory, Springfield, Mass.

How common are the orig. slings as found on my Chilean Contract rifle? Thanks, JC

The Chilean rifles were imported with all the extras that were shipped with the rifles by JA. Thees included slings (the type you have), bayonets and scabbards (the Chilean kind), and sheet metal muzzle protectors.

Interesting that the rifle came from Springfield. I'll see if I can narrow it down with the production log.

Thanks Jim. I was happy to find that all parts on my Chilean rifle match your records. I was happy to purchase it from a dealer for $3500 and passed on an offer of $4500 cash walking out of the show with it. I did not even know about the Chilean contract guns then, but I know an original, un-messed-with gun when I see it. The more info I get, the happier I am I kept it.

The gentleman who I traded my DCM Johnson to died while I was in the Coast Guard in Alaska and it was sold off for $150. It moved quickly through the club but by the time I got back home and tried to trace it's steps, the trail was cold. I know it was one of his prized pieces. I remember he said he worked on installing the Johnson rotary magazine on the M1 Garand while at SA. He said he thought the Johnson was a better rifle but he had to keep his thoughts to himself or loose his job. He also said he was given a Johnson while assigned to the test lab back before the war and was told to "break it". After a month he was taken off of the project because his positive findings were not "accurate". As a young gun nut I used to eat this stuff up! Just last year I got a private tour of the Attic of the Springfield Armory Museum and saw the Garands they converted to the Johnson Magazine!! Even the curator who gave me the tour commented that if it didn't say SPRINGFIELD on it, it didn't have a chance!

That Johnson Springfield tested would command a a very high preminum to existing prices-expecially if you have proof of DCM rifle...woohoo-very nice find and thanks for the history....

Tim

Tim,

I doubt that this rifle would have been a test rifle. The test guns were made by Taft-Peirce and were returned to Johnson's afterwards.

I think I may know which rifle this may have been but will have to write a letter to a Museum to see whether the specific rifle I'm thinking of is in inventory or not. just a theory.