ArtR

JSAR's on auction sites

11 posts in this topic

If you have not already seen these:

On GunBroker.com

On GunsAmerica.com

Hi Art,

I have a question about one of the auction's on GunBroker.com. Can you think of why the seller of these two JSAR's states that his Sporter type can NOT be sold in the US? Am I reading his post incorrectly? I'm referring to this;

THIS LISTING IS FOR THE FULL MILITARY CONFIG 1941 ONLY AT 5500.00 THE SPORTER IS IN THE PICTURES FOR NON-U.S. BUYERS ONLY--IT CANNOT BE SOLD IN THE U.S.OR IMPORTED INTO THE U.S.A. ACCORDING TO MY FFL DEALER--IT'S PRICE IS 2500.00--(8000.00 FOR BOTH) ADDITIONAL PICTURES AT http://johnsoncollector.com/johnson_1941 (I ARRANGE THE DELIVERY TO MY FFL DEALER IN MONTANA****WHO WILL ARRANGE DELIVER TO THE U.S. BUYER**********)

I think this is from the second or third listing from GunBroker.com that you have posted here. I read it a couple of weeks ago and I've wanted to ask someone. He says it can't be sold or imported into the US? It can't? :unsure:

Thanks,

Mike

The BATFE rules for importation of surplus military rifles states that they must not be modified from their original configuration.

This is shown in:

BATFE Publication ATF P 5300.11 - Firearms Curios or Relics List (1972 - 2001)

SECTION II: Firearms Classified As Curios Or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44

"All Original military bolt action and semiautomatic rifles mfd. between 1899 and 1946."

Curio and Relic List

Obviously the rifle in question has been sporterized in some way, I see checkering in one photo for instance.

Webmaster,

You've got to be kidding? You mean that checkering on the stock is considered a modification of any consequence? I'm not interested in a purchase but I am certainly curious as to the reasoning behind that law? Could the government then argue that the mere refinishing of a guns wood stock or metal parts be a modification also? It's hard to understand the logic of those regulations. :wacko:

Mike

Try to argue that with the BATFE.

And if it were a Winfield Sporter, along with replacing the stock, the bayo lug was removed, which you would think the current establishment would love. But as in fact they do not want any guns, by saying it must be in original configuration, this gun could not be imported.

Point as to military rifle: the M1941 was never officially a military rifle. This was the point when I imported a M41 from Canada. Past threads covered this in much greater extent than I can, but the point is the M1941 does NOT qualify as a military fire arm.

FWIW

Not to split hairs or question what's already in past threads, but it seems to me it was a military rifle to the Dutch!! (Also Chileans).

John

DiggerJ is correct. The M1941 WAS a military rifle, just not a officially adopted U.S> one. The wording of the laws and regulations does not specify what country's military, only has to be a military rifle in its original military configuration.

What is driving these prices?!? Are any guns actually being sold for these crazy numbers or are these pie in the sky hopes? I bought my minty original Chilean and Dutch 1941's with bayonets, slings and scabbards for $3500 ea from dealers in the past year. These are MINTY guns!! No cracks, no refinishing, and minty bores. What is up with $5k+++ for refinished guns?