Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridge Runner

Saw a Johnson Machine Gun on Ken Burns "THE WAR"

4 posts in this topic

I was watching Ken Burns THE WAR on public television tonight and saw quite clearly, footage of a Johnson Machine gun in three different scenes.

They were invading Italy (according to the narration) when the Johnson video footage was shown.

Anyone else catch it?

Yep! I believe that cut was in the previews, too. I'm betting that was the 1st Special Service Force, also known as the "Devil's Brigade", "Die Schwarzen Teufel" or Black Devils. Aside from a very few Paramarine Battalions, they were the only military formation to have the JLMG officially in their TO&E. The men in that video weren't wearing USMC issue. The 1st SSF made their mark in central Italy.

Very well put together and researched film. Bulk of the video is actually correct for the campaigns being described, as opposed to many documentaries that show whatever war footage they come across, regardless of the campaign or even theater. I was surprized that most of the video shown while Guadalcanal was being described lacked the camoflage pattern Marines didn't start wearing until late '43 or '44, nor were they carrying M1 Garands. Just green herringbone twill, and M1903s. Very well done!

Sad to say, even the History Channel's "Tales of the Gun" series has shown footage of Melvin Johnson showing off the JSAR durring demonstrations and trials while describing criminals and bootleggers durring the '30s. Aside from not being "period correct", it implied Mr. Johnson and others were gangsters! Damn shame.

Nice one, Ridge Runner!

Semper Fi,

Rick S.

I am enjoying it so far, but it isn't nearly as well-done as the Civil War series.

I did notice in episode 1 (at about the 1 hour, 41 minute mark) the narrator was describing Guadalcanal and how the Marines were armed with older, single shot bolt action rifles while the footage showed a guy cleaning an M1 carbine.