Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jdowd

BOLT WILL NOT STAY OPEN

7 posts in this topic

Contact Joseph Scott, he will be able to give you the technical assistance or get you the part needed.

His email address is on on this board in his postings.

I was having a similar problem with mine, but I knew it had a bolt stop as it had been working properly. I contacted Joseph Scott and he told me how to correct the problem--only took a minute, did it while I had him on the phone. He also has replacement bolt stops if yours is broken.

B.T.

Guys,

Don’t get yourselves into a tizzy over this. Johnson only used the bolt stop in the first 2,000 rifles or so. Which rifles had these stops is unknown. These items were not numbered and the production records we have do not indicate which rifles had them. If your rifle does not have a bolt stop it’s no big deal. These stops whether or not they were installed will neither add nor detract from the value of your rifle. The bolt stop is activated by the rotary magazine internals on the last shot by locking it open or when the bolt was pulled rearward. The rifle will function perfectly without it. The bolt stop was dropped because it was thought parts could be lost during field stripping and cleaning along with other small components of the rifle such as the cross pin(s). If the stop was not seated properly in the rifles hammer block frame the rear crosspin could not be installed making the rifle inop at the most inopertune moment.

walt B)

My winfield sporter 9128 has a bolt hold open feature installed in it, so maybe winfield retrofitted some with those. Personally, I find the feature a distraction for this particular rifle style, partuclarly if the part was easily lost or not idiot proof, and having to push in the load gate to get the bolt forward difficult on my rifle.

Bud,

If the bolt stop is such a problem, then remove it from your rifle. Your rifle will work just fine without it.

walt B)