Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shepp

Population

3 posts in this topic

Has anyone heard any numbers on how many of these weapons still exist? I see that most likely around 30,000 were produced, i wonder how many survived.

I don't think anyone has done a "survey" on the number of surviving JSARs (or JLMGs, for that matter). Correspondence from the late Sam Cummings (Interarms) suggests that Winfield and Interarms imported close to 20,000 rifles and 1,200 M1941 l.m.g.s. I'm not sure that I trust Cummings' figures as he tended to play his cards very close to his chest and very well may have "shot from the hip" in giving info. I also am not sure that I trust the books and articles written about Cummings and Interarms! Of some interest is a post from about a year ago on usmilitariaforums.com from a JSAR owner in England. He has a beautiful specimen of a rifle. . .DEACTIVATED :o to comply with British law! What a bunch of parlimentary stupidity! (Sorry, Jim.) Johnson weapons seem to be surviving in numerous parts of the world and I suspect that most of those produced are still around. Still, considering the low numbers produced (of the rifles and l.m.g.s), they are "rare" weapons. (I'm considering the numbers of Colt SAAs produced and their rarity . . . or other "antique" firearm . . . vis-a-vis the prices they bring.)