Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mestre

old Johnson 1941 Rifle images

5 posts in this topic

Great pictures. That appears to be Melvin himself firing the rifle? The 4 barrels all different lengths are interesting. I will bet someone had one of the nonstandard lengths shown and was told it was wrong and got a replacement to make his rifle "correct." The bayonet in the last picture is the most interesting it has a handle! I want one like that. Bob Benson.

The bayonet is a "dagger bayonet". I believe it has a "T" cross-section, as does the sword bayonet. Never saw photos of the scabbard for either of these bayonets, BTW. Both were prototypes and are as rare as hen's teeth (or maybe even rarer!). To my knowledge, neither the dagger bayonet nor the sword bayonet have been reproduced -- at least not yet! Photos appear to be from a shoot by Life Magazine in the early 1940s. (My copy of the magazine is not handy right now.) Photos that appeared were taken in NYC and show shirtless MMJ, Jr. and one of his associates firing the JSAR in a basement.

The bayonet is a "dagger bayonet". I believe it has a "T" cross-section, as does the sword bayonet. Never saw photos of the scabbard for either of these bayonets, BTW. Both were prototypes and are as rare as hen's teeth (or maybe even rarer!). To my knowledge, neither the dagger bayonet nor the sword bayonet have been reproduced -- at least not yet! Photos appear to be from a shoot by Life Magazine in the early 1940s. (My copy of the magazine is not handy right now.) Photos that appeared were taken in NYC and show shirtless MMJ, Jr. and one of his associates firing the JSAR in a basement.

...can you post the images?

Thank you.