WWIInut

s/n 2803

6 posts in this topic

Walt, would you please be so kind as to post any available data for s/n 2803? Thank you, WWIInut.

WW2Nut,

I will do this as soon as I get home this evening.

walt B)

WW2,

Sorry for the delay but here's the skinny on your rifle:

Received 12/18/41 (Mon)

Barrel 8600E

Hammer Block 2623

Hammer 6185

Bolt 5336

Locking cam 3886

Firing Pin 4926

Extractor 2840

Magazine 7952

Completed 12/20/41 (Weds)

Let us know whether or not any numbers match the build sheet.

walt B)

Walt, thank you for posting the info. I just purchased this rifle and am proud to have finally joined the club of JSAR owners. I have been waiting and watching for one for quite some time. I just brought it home and have been breaking it down to go over all the parts which I will list what I find to compare against the list you so graciously provided. I am having one problem and am hoping you or someone out there can help me when it comes to removing the stock group so I can remove the rotary magazine. I have some photo copied pages from "MIlitary Handbook of the Johnson Semi-Automatic Rifle" and I have looked at the disassembly instructions on James Pullen's Johnson rifle site which state to disengage the hammer block pin, located behind the feed lips on the right side of the receiver, with the point of a cartridge or drift and then push out the pin. The problem I am having is that the pin does not depress in order to disengage it. Upon examination of the pin it appears to be identical to the pin in the forestock on the right side that I can rotate counterclockwise and easily remove. However the hammer pin "tang" for my lack of technical knowledge is at the 6 o'clock position in behind the feed lips and I can not seem to rotate it clockwise in order to free it from the feed lips to pull out of the right side of the receiver. I have also read that there was a second type of hammer block pin produced later by Johnson that had a "lifter head" because the first pins were prone to breaking. Any help from anyone who can offer input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, WWIInut.

If your gun has a bolt catch, it can put pressure on the cross pin and makes it hard to remove. Try reaching inside the magazine and moving the cartridge pusher backward. Now try the X-pin using a small screwdriver to lift it close against the pin itself. You can also loosen the trigger group by loosening the large head screw under the safety and the one nearest the magazine. Be sure hammer is cocked. Or you can remove wood stock by removing the two large head screws mentioned, the bolt stop plate at back of receiver and dropping the wood. Now you can remove the pin. Check that it is smooth and does not have a worn spot restricting removal. I have new pins with the pull heads that you mentioned. Also have a 1hr-36m DVD on stripping, inspection, lube, reassembly, etc. Sometimes the long magazine pin on the left side is stalled from the front end and you will have to drop the forearm to pull that pin.