Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pdursin

Johnson rifle parts

5 posts in this topic

I bought Johnson rifle s/n 3014 at a gun show in February. I already know that the barrel, #1481A, is a correct JSAR barrel but not original to the rifle. I've found these numbers on other parts:

sear housing - 4232

magazine housing - 8823

bolt - 1644

locking cam unit - 3195

extractor - 2391

firing pin - 5906

hammer - 5538.

Can anyone tell me which of these parts, if any, are original to this rifle?

Thanks, Pete Dursin

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have been misinformed about the barrel being original to the rifle. Other parts, but not all, are original to the rifle. Here is the info from the production log:

Receiver from Cranston Arms to JAMCO: 12/1/41; completed rifle transfered to NPC on 12/3/41.

Barrel - 1801E

hammer block - 4232

hammer 5538

bolt 3711

locking cam 1794

firing pin 1844

extractor 2234

magazine housing 8823

Hope this helps rather than hurts! I've found that this type of "mismatch" -- that is, with some original parts and some mismatched, is more typical than not.

Bob Lamoreaux

Whoops! Sorry that I misread the first part of your post. Guess I ought to wear my glasses to avoid this type of embarrassment! :o Anyway, congratulations on your purchase. How is the condition of the rifle?

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the information!

I assumed that this would be a "mixed parts" gun. After all, it started out as a Dutch military rifle and then went through Winfield. I suspect that "all original" examples are the exception rather than the rule.

The rifle in is decent condition for it's age. All of the metal except the bolt has at least some dark grey parkerize, averaging about 70% on the receiver, 80% on the magazine and near 100% on the barrel. The bolt is finished bright but a bit dulled by age. The internal parts show some finish wear from use but are in good condition. I don't see any evidence of refinishing except on the rear sling swivel. There is some minor old pitting but no active rust. The bore has lands but has pitting in the grooves. It looks safe to shoot but I'm not sure how accurate it would be. I haven't headspaced it yet. The stock is the solid type with an old oil finish and is consistent in appearance with the rest of the rifle. The buttstock has a horizontal crack on each side along the edge of the receiver. Someone repaired these cracks neatly a while back. There's also a horizontal crack further back that goes halfway through the stock to one of the lightening holes. It's got the proper front and rear sights and bayonet lug.

Regards, Pete Dursin

Pete, with a Johnson barrel and bolt, headspace should not be a problem. Clean the chamber well and with the gun pointed safely, try a new cartridge. Bolt should go home and rotate downward into locked position. If it doesn't rotate and lock, there are several things to check. First: is the stock recoil key exactly 8" from the recoil key above the trigger. Second: inspect main spring, inside of tube, follower and buffer for corrosion or roughness. The position and condition of these are critical to bolt lock-up. Main spring should be 12" long. If your stock cracks are open, an excellant repair is to use super glue in cracks. It works great in wood.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0