Dave Southard

Info Sought - SN 9366

3 posts in this topic

Hello – Recently had the opportunity to purchase two JSARs. Have been collecting military weapons for some time, but am frankly out of my element on the M1941. The rifles are coming from a collection assembled by an individual I consider to extremely knowledgeable on WWII weapons (but when it comes to Johnson's, who knows??). In any event, he purchased 3 JSARs at the same time, from the same source, about 20 years ago (in Puerto Rico, I believe). He is only willing to part with 2 of them.

One is near mint with what seems to be the correct bayonet and scabbard. That one is a B series - I will post pictures soon.

The other appears to have seen more use. Metal is in excellent condition, but the receiver / business end will require cleaning. No signs of a repark / refinish to any of the metal elements.

The wood is a different story - Butt was cracked at some point. The crack was repaired, but the repair evidently entailed some sanding and a coat of varnish (stock appears to be original – confirmed 3 holes under the buttplate, but it does not have the laminate swell on either side of the mag).

Will post pictures of that one soon as well.

In the meantime, any info you can provide on Receiver No. 9366 is much, much appreciated.

Thanks in advance – and this site has been a wealth of information already.

Here's the details for you're rifle:

Details for JSAR 9366:

Delivered from Cranston Arms to Johnson Automatics Manufacturing Co. : 04/21/1942

Stock Type: 2

Barrel # 8131E

Hammer Block # A0788

Hammer # 2008A

Bolt # A2325

Locking Cam # A1580

Firing Pin # A3285

Extractor # A0478

Magazine # A0717

Delivered from Jamco to Johnson Automatics Inc 05/06/42

Contract : Netherlands Purchasing Commission.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much - Very helpful. Have torn her down and the stock is the correct type, and the numbers on the barrel, hammer, hammer block, and magazine all match the numbers you provided. The bolt, firing pin, extractor, and locking cam do not.

Any insight from the pros on this?

Thanks again - I plan to post pictures this weekend.