Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrgrant

was it used there

3 posts in this topic

hello,

i wanted to know if anyone knows if the M1941 johnson was used during the korean conflic.

thank you

Korean Conflict? Not to the best of anyone's knowledge, unless the North Koreans got their hands on some previously. I have not heard of anything up until now. Ed J

There is some anecdotal information that at least one Johnson (unknown if LMG or SAR) was used by the Chinese Communists in Korea. The United Nations (including the United States) forces in Korea did not use either Johnson weapon in Korea -- at least I couldn't find reference to such use in the research I've done. The use of the Johnson by ChiCom forces is somewhat puzzling, particularly considering the TOE they probably had. Pure speculation is that any "foreign" weapon used by the ChiComs -- excluding Mausers and Moisin-Nagants (or other Soviet weaponry) -- notably Japanese weaponry was issued to reserve or 2d or 3d line troops. It is known that the OSS left a number of Johnson weapons in China following World War II, these probably winding up in the hands of "war lords" who were then assimilated into the ChiCom government or forces. (Or executed. . .) Some years ago, someone posted either an inquiry or a "report" on a JSAR purchased in Hong Kong or thereabouts, possibly in the '50s, from a former Chinese (Nationalist) soldier.

Hope this answers your question!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Keep our troops in your prayers and, despite any political views, keep the president-elect in your prayers as well. And, of course, keep vigilant -- the anti-gunners are just waiting to do their thing. You'd think they'd be more concerned with the economy. . . <_<

Bob