Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Problems with weld repaired receiver

9 posts in this topic

I was given a receiver to repair which had scope mount holes plugged with welding and the sight dovetail ground off. They then brazed some pieces on top to replace the dovetail. Either the welding warped the receiver or they clamped it too tight in a vise. Anyways the bolt would not travel even with a hard push. Finally determined that the upper groove that the cam rollers run in was closed together as was the main bolt channel. Had to buy a special reamer for bolt channel and make a tool for the groove. Got it working after a weeks effort. Moral: don't weld on a Johnson receiver or buy one with weld or braze repairs.

This is more a question than a comment,, when I first started researching the Johnson a local gunsmith said that the scoped versions were special presentations and very high dollar, any truth to this, you are the master , if so would it not have been worth more the other configuration.

Winfield offered the scoped versions as the top of the line of thier stock. They had a few configurations of rifle available, price depending on finish, type of stock, new barrel etc. Priced accordingly.

Unfortunately the scope mount used necessitated the drilling and tapping of the receiver, which today is a disfigurement and drops the price. Still an original scoped De-Luxe sported with Monte-Carlo stock would bring a premium over a lesser grade of sporterized rifle, but not touch the price of a good to very good graded grade original military pattern.

I am no metals expert (nor any other kind, unfortunately) but the receivers appear forged to me and I'm sure would be followed with a specific heat treatment and then machined. I would think any localized high heat would re-orient the metal big time and would anticipate as Joe S. says that any reweld job should be expected to result in a warpage. Buyer beware (still)!

John D.

The receivers are a forging but of a material for which no readily available weld rod exists. As the function of the gun is from recoil, the receiver must be straight and true. Another where I have seen welding (and warping) is one which had the small lugs for the magazine on the left side which had been cut off and then reattached. Probably a botched job on making a look-a-like LMG. Welding on a gun is a no-no unless there is a welding engineer, high quality fixtures and experienced welder involved. I consider myself fortunate that I could save this one. I am rebuilding the sight dovetail by attaching a piece with screws and JB Weld, then recutting dovetail.

This is more a question than a comment,, when I first started researching the Johnson a local gunsmith said that the scoped versions were special presentations and very high dollar, any truth to this, you are the master , if so would it not have been worth more the other configuration.

I'm not sure if "Webmaster" fully answered your question. <_< Johnson Automatics -- the "original" company -- made some very nicely finished presentation rifles. None, to my knowledge, were fitted with 'scopes (from the factory). The "deluxe 'scoped Johnson rifle" was a post-World War II offering by, as Jim said, Winfield. These were refurbished Dutch rifles, most coming from Indonesia. Subsequent Johnson imports came from the Netherlands.

Note that alot of the offerings of JSARs in the pre-GCA '68 days were for rifles in near mint condition. While a few JSARs made it to Southeast Asia, most of the Dutch order were issued in the Dutch West Indies and Dutch Guiana. Apparently a number were also issued to the Netherlands navy. The rifles from Indonesia were probably surplus from that country's war for independence from the Dutch.

You should also note that the source of Johnson rifles, imported by Winfield and others, is based on information from the late Samuel Cummings of Interams. He was not necessarily the most accurate reporter of sources of surplus arms. . . :blink:

Joe,

I picked up a severely bubba'd rifle a year or so ago (well worth the price in parts) which has been crudely fashioned to take a box magazine. I think it might be a candidate for a LMG look-alike, but I have no interest in it.

Are you still using a dial-up internet connection? If not I'd like to send you some pictures and get you opinion as to whether or not it can be salvaged.