Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Service tips

1 post in this topic

I just checked a rifle on which the small collar on the firing pin had never been locked into position. There are three small raised areas on the od which were pressed inward into the notches on the firing pin. When they are correct, they lock the position of the collar and the return spring. This collar had never been "locked in" and it moved up and down firing pin. Several worn areas showed and the rear end where the hammer hits was deformed. When checking the firing pin, be sure collar is "locked". If the raised areas are still up, lightly hammer them into notches. If pressed down, but collar still slips, use a small chisel to deform metal into notches. A loose collar can cause the firing pin to freeze extended and give run-away firing.

Johnson chambers are very critical for proper extraction. I have tried several ways to inspect them including buying an expensive bore scope. l just found a cheap way to check the chamber. Get some Scotch-brite and a 3/8 variable speed drill. Chuck a loaded cartridge in the drill by the bullet and using a slow to medium speed, polish the brass cases. With a bright polished case, when you fire it, it shows any flaws in the chamber surfaces. Most surplus ammo has all sorts of surface marks and you can't tell what is old and what comes from the chamber unless you polish it. Most poor chambers can be honed and saved.

Got a call about a rifle which had the rear pull pin finger broke off. To get such a pin out, remove the bolt stop plate at rear of receiver and then drop the wood by removing the screw under the safety and behind the magazine. This will leave trigger group attached to receiver with the pin, push pin out from opposite side. Reassembly: Install trigger group into wood, slide assembly onto receiver, install new pull cross-pin, engage operating link into main spring, install bolt stop inside receiver, stop plate. If you have a bolt catch, sometimes you need to push in on the magazine door and magazine pusher to take tension off the cross-pin as the bolt catch rides on the cross pin. Be sure the magazine door pin finger is turned so as to fit in the stock recess for it.

Caller wanted a front pin retainer but didn't know name or part number. I think it was considered part of the forearm and had no separate name. I call them " front pin retainer w/nail" and make them on order. Many replacement forearms did not have them and used a short internal pin covered (retained) by the replacement wood. If you have a factory type pin, it must be pulled before dropping forearm.

Seem to be getting lots of calls from new, younger owners, so I thought of sharing these tips with them.