Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cdj7097

Rear Sight Increments

4 posts in this topic

When sighting in the Johnson are the rear sight increments normally accurate. I had to set my rear sight on 300m to get on paper at 100m.

I've never had a problem with the rifle sighting at the correct distance, i.e. with the sight set at 100 meters, I've hit the target set at 100 meters. (Not well, but at least it was a hit!) I'm trying to think of what problem might cause this condition and the only thing -- other than someone tinkering with the sights, or an ammunition problem -- is a bent barrel. However, the bent barrel is really unlikely.

One of our more experienced shooters will probably be offering more insight. Good luck!

Bob

Check the crown on the end of your barrel. I once had an FAL with a ding in the crown, it wouldn't hit the same place twice.

When sighting in the Johnson are the rear sight increments normally accurate. I had to set my rear sight on 300m to get on paper at 100m.

If the rifle was grouping alright and you're using the bullet weight and type that you plan to continue using then you can shorten the front sight (a little at a time) until it shoots to point of aim at the 100m setting on the rear sight. In other words, if your front sight is too high you will shoot low, so to compensate you have to raise the rear. Conversly, if you set the rear sight on its 100m setting and slowly remove height from the front sight you will eventually get on target.

I hope that is not confusing. :blink: