Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason

Winfield Deluxe Sporter Wanted

10 posts in this topic

Hello JSAR experts and enthusiasts:

I have scheduled a once in a lifetime guided mule deer hunt this fall (once in a lifetime because I will likely never be able to afford it again) and I can think of no rifle I would rather have for this event other than a Winfield Deluxe Sporter (with scope, or at least with original tap holes and mount). I would never condone drilling holes in the receiver of a Johnson, but if it was done I can rationalize making good use of them. I have a M1941 and adding an example the Winfield story to my collection is also appealing. Let me know if anyone has one they would like to sell me.

Thanks. Jason Walker.

Jason: I don't have a Winfield but I'm responding because I've been on a lot of mule deer hunts and unless you are going on a canned hunt on private land you may want to rethink your idea of hunting with a JSAR.

The fact that you are hunting mulies tells me you are probably hunting one of the western states and that probably means you will be in the mountains and, unless you are one of the SEAL's who just wacked those pirates, those mountains will get steeper every day. That JSAR weighs about 10 lbs., add a scope, mount & rings and you'll be lugging 11+ lbs and that's in the morning, by evening it will weigh 40 lbs.

Now consider accuracy; while I like my JSAR it's NOT a tack driver. You're not paying big bucks to shoot the first forked horn you see--you're looking for that big 26"-30" old grey faced guy, and he didn't get to be big and old by being dumb. He spends a few months a year fooling hunters and every day outwitting cougars and cougars are real smart. The only time you'll find him standing out in the open being dumb is during the rut, (all us guys are dumb when we're rutting) and chances are you will not be hunting during the rut. You may have one shot at him at 300 yds with him down low and going flat out balls to the wall.

Lastly you might check with the F&G people in the state where you are hunting and find out if they allow rifles with 10 rd. magazines. Some states have a limitation and you don't want a citation and watch your JSAR disappearing down the road in the back of a game cop's truck.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but if it were me I would leave my Johnson at home and take my Weatherby.

Have a great hunt.

Don

Thanks Don, all well understood.

The hunt is in MT and will be a one-on-one with a guide in a variety of terrain and on public and private land. I usually bring at least two rifles, so I may only use the JSAR on the perfect day. I have hunted with my M1941 before due to its ability to take-down and pack nicely, so nothing new there. I like to use vintage and antique guns; all my guns were made to shoot, and so shoot them I do. My other primary rifle is a 50 Cal Hawken muzzleloader, 12 Lbs would be a weight reduction compared to that smoke pole. Still looking for a Winfield. Thanks again.

Sounds like it would be great fun. I have a mag with a hole drilled in the bottom so a screw goes into a wood spacer that allows only 5 rnds. If this works out for you perhaps a loan could be in order.

Hello JSAR experts and enthusiasts:

I have scheduled a once in a lifetime guided mule deer hunt this fall (once in a lifetime because I will likely never be able to afford it again) and I can think of no rifle I would rather have for this event other than a Winfield Deluxe Sporter (with scope, or at least with original tap holes and mount). I would never condone drilling holes in the receiver of a Johnson, but if it was done I can rationalize making good use of them. I have a M1941 and adding an example the Winfield story to my collection is also appealing. Let me know if anyone has one they would like to sell me.

Thanks. Jason Walker.

Hey Jason there is a new guy looking for ideas of value on a sporter. This might be what your looking for, if your hunt is still on. RYCHE

Thanks for keeping an eye out for me; yes the hunt is on, tags are paid and deposits are paid. All I need to do now is loose a few pounds and get in better shape by October.

I would pay a fair price and have funds available for a nice specimen of a Deluxe Sporter, but only with a scope and/or original mounts. Anyone drilling holes into a Johnson receiver just to sell it to me will be turned over to the members of this board to be justifiably drawn and quartered.

Thanks again,

Jason Walker

I'm the new guy with the JSAR asking for help with a value and where/how to sell. I'd never consider drilling and tapping it to sell it. Truthfully, I'd have a hard time selling to someone if I knew they intended to do so. If I decide to sell it it would need to go to a "good home" where it would be appreciated. There are enough rifles with altered receivers out there that there's no need to add another one. Good luck with the hunt.

Somewhere in the cob-webby recesses of my failing memory I seem to recall a scope mount for the JSAR that did not require drilling and tapping the receiver. I'm not sure if the mount fit into to the rear-sight "hump" dove-tail or if it was a clamp-on type of thing. Surely there must be a few of these floating around for those who want to mount a scope but don't want to drill and tap.

Maybe someone with a better memory than I can come up with the name of the manufacturer (who is probably long out of business) and at least give those who want this type of mount sufficient info so that the various auction boards can be searched.

Bob

Thanks Bob for this info. You are a gentleman and a scholar, but we all know that already. I would be interested in this gizmo to possibly temporarily alter my M1941. Please let me know if anyone has one. Perhaps a dovetail mount can be fabricated for the rear sight, although in looking at it may be a bit unsteady.