Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Notched rear sights vs front sights

3 posts in this topic

I have been measuring the height of original front sights and also the sporter ramp sights. Just noticed that one of the ramp sights was 1/4" lower than usual. The only way this could have been used was to lower the rear sight by notching it so the gun would hit the target. I know that many other persons besides Winfield sporterized Johnson's. I suspect that persons bought ramp front sights without specifying height and then cut the peep into the v-notch to lower it so the gun was useable. This may not be true in all cases but I consider it a likely reason for the notched rear sights.

I also found that original front sights slightly varied in height. I suspect that the front sight was "adjusted" on the test range. Since the rear sight was mostly stamped and not very precise on height, I think they had to "adjust" the front height to bring it onto center target.

I have been measuring the height of original front sights and also the sporter ramp sights. Just noticed that one of the ramp sights was 1/4" lower than usual. The only way this could have been used was to lower the rear sight by notching it so the gun would hit the target. I know that many other persons besides Winfield sporterized Johnson's. I suspect that persons bought ramp front sights without specifying height and then cut the peep into the v-notch to lower it so the gun was useable. This may not be true in all cases but I consider it a likely reason for the notched rear sights.

I also found that original front sights slightly varied in height. I suspect that the front sight was "adjusted" on the test range. Since the rear sight was mostly stamped and not very precise on height, I think they had to "adjust" the front height to bring it onto center target.

Joseph, I need a JSAR main recoil spring. How do I get. Cordially, Alasdair