Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cdj7097

Fake bayonet on eBay

6 posts in this topic

Gents,

It's a Sarco tent peg alright. Rivet and barrel ring are the giveaway plus the shade of parkerizing. From the pictures the condition of this bayo does not come close to matching the Scabbard. For more information read my article on the Johnson Bayonets on the main site. Nice catch. You have good eyes. There are still allot of uninformed folks as far as JR's are concerned.

walt B)

At $152.50 and still climbing, it hasn't met his reserve. Hopefully, it won't.

I have to admit I didn't spot what was wrong, but I haven't been looking for one either, and sure haven't placed a bid on one. I would look here before I did anything about buying one.

I guess that's the mystery to me. Before buying something like this , why wouldn't a person do a little looking around to research it? Anyone with enough computer sense to have an eBay account can surely do that in a couple of minutes tops. I know people buy things all the time without research, but that's with everyday items. Uncommon bayonets for uncommon rifles are not everyday items, and therefore should make people more cautious. At least, I would think it would. Apparently not.

I'm starting to cast my own bullets, and I'm seeing similar things there. Moulds and other casting items sell on eBay for more than they do if buying brand new. I can understand paying more than currrent prices for an old out of production mould if you just have to have it, but people are paying premium prices for items Midway has in stock and can ship today. And anytime I see "rare" or "vintage" attached to a bullet mould listing (it almost never truly is) I know it will go extra high.

Ordinarily, I could chalk things like this up to people being completely new to the area of guns. But neither of these examples (Johnson bayonets and bullet casting) are exactly the kinds of places beginning gunowners tread, so I can't explain it away like that.

People just don't bother to check into anything.

Sarco tent peg.... caveat emptor !