Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gc17

JLMG Serial No.

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am very interested in any data relating to

JLMG Serial No. 1967

Supposedly, this gun originated from the Winchester museum at some point in time. Interestingly, it has a rectangular brushed aluminum tag with red numbering. There is a glue mark on the left side of the receiver that appears to match the size and shape of the residue on the back side of the tag. So it does appear to be a legitimate property tag that was once attached to the gun.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance,

g

Unfortunately, it would probably be impossible to tell whether your JLMG was from the Winchester (Buffalo Bill Cody) Museum auction without having a copy of the auction catalog which I've been unable to find. A Class 3 dealer purchased a number of JLMGs in that auction, having once included these weapons in his catalog (R.J. Perry) but, again, I've been unable to locate his catalog with those listed. I'll try to dig around and see if I can identify the date your lmg was transfered from JAMCO to JA, but because the records are incomplete, I might not be able to do so. Obviously, if the weapon came from the Cody museum auction, it was never used by any military force (Dutch or US. . .or possibly French colonial). I strongly suspect that the piece did come from the Cody museum auction due to the red tag.

Hope this helps!

Hi Bob,

thanks for your reply. Your comments jostled my brain. It's been a few years but I now remember the dealer claiming the gun was acquired from another dealer who got it from the Winchester museum. At the time I wasn't sure but your comments seem to corroborate that it is, as you suspect, from Winchester via Mr. Perry. I understand R.J. Perry is now deceased. Do you know what year? I am wondering if it would be likely that the dealer acquired it from him or his estate around 1997 or 1998?

Regardless, I really appreciate your comments.

If any production info is available, that would certainly be a bonus.

Gary