Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geir

S/N 0697

5 posts in this topic

I have an johnoson rifle with sn 0697 and wondering if anybody have any info. rifle are in Norway

Thanks

Geir

The data on 0697 is as follows:

Date received from Cranston Arms - not listed

Stock # not listed

BBl #652E

Hammer block # 1028

Hammer # 0487

Bolt # 1023

Locking cam # 256

Firing pin # 102

Extractor # 1329

Magazine # 1034

Transferred to N.P.C. 10/15/1941

This one could have made it to Indonesia before it fell to the Japanese. Let us know if anything matches up.

The data on 0697 is as follows:

Date received from Cranston Arms - not listed

Stock # not listed

BBl #652E

Hammer block # 1028

Hammer # 0487

Bolt # 1023

Locking cam # 256

Firing pin # 102

Extractor # 1329

Magazine # 1034

Transferred to N.P.C. 10/15/1941

This one could have made it to Indonesia before it fell to the Japanese. Let us know if anything matches up.

Thank you.

I will let you know when I'm back in Norway. but i Checked and it was no # on the stock.

what is N.P.C???

Johnson had some interlocking companies involved in production and sales. Cranston Arms manufactured the rifles for Johnson Arms Manufacturing Company (JAMCO) which in turn sold the arms to the Netherlands Purchasing Commission (NPC) or the government of Chile.

Johnson had some interlocking companies involved in production and sales. Cranston Arms manufactured the rifles for Johnson Arms Manufacturing Company (JAMCO) which in turn sold the arms to the Netherlands Purchasing Commission (NPC) or the government of Chile.

There is definite evidence of an attempt to sell JSARs to Norway prior to the German invasion. These attempts were undertaken by American Armament Corporation/Miranda Brothers, Inc. who were responsible for the sale to Chile as well as the purchase of cal. .30 FM (Mexican) ammo for the Netherlands East Indies sales contract. AAC's sales representatives, by the way, were (in part):

Chile: F. Santa Cruz & Cia., Ltda., P.O. Box 1321, Santiago, Chile

Spencer & Waters, Huerfanos 920, Santiago, Chile

Norway: Istria, Inc. (Bernt Balchen), Oslo, Norway

Unfortunately, I have no information regarding which firm is responsible for the sale to Chile, nor am I aware of any sales of Johnson weapons to Norway. I suspect that many of the NPC guns (transfered to NPC) were sent as samples to various AAC representatives and the NPC given credit for these guns.

As my research continues, I may be able to add some additional detail to this and to either confirm or discredit the above speculation.