Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Lamoreaux

A Little Off Topic, But Might Be of Interest

2 posts in this topic

I've been doing some research on firearms lubricants/preservatives and really tie my very tiny brain into knots trying to distinguish puffery from fact. While I've normally been using Rem Oil and Castrol GunLube without any problems, I decided to be "super-cautious" and try some of the "advanced" lube/preservatives. So far I've tried powdered molybdenum disulfice in a "carrier" (spray can). REALLY messy stuff, but very slick. Used it on a squeeky car door hinge and it worked instantly. But, as I said: MESSY.

Have also tried EEZOX, which appears to have the best record for corrosion or rust prevention, at least according to a couple of tests shown on the 'Net. Dries nicely and will repel fingerprints. Don't know how it will work out in the long run.

Use the EEZOX -- if you try it -- in a VERY WELL-VENTED area. Used it in my office and still have sort of a "high" from its fumes -- and that was 18-hours ago!

Anyway, I wanted to pass this along because a clean, well-functioning, and corrosion resistant weapon -- whether used regularly or simply part of a collection -- is, I'm sure, important to readers of this forum. BTW -- this isn't an endorsement of the above products. I paid full price for them and am waiting to see if they work.

I'm sure other readers will chime in on their favorite preservation/lubrication products and will follow that with interest.

I've been using vaseline for years. The beltfeds do quite well with it, it heats up and runs into the small areas then when the gun cools off it goes back to solid. It also whipes out easly,for cleaning and reapplication. Next time you take out an AK put a light coat in the top cover, when you come home use a paper towel to whipe it out. almost half your cleaning time will wipe right out. A light coat on a JSAR barrel extension often helps with reassembly. :rolleyes: