Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gonzo

Removing Barrel Latch Assembly

6 posts in this topic

Hello all! Can some one give me instructions on how to remove the barrel latch assembly. I have Joseph Scotts DVD here, but he does not go over this section. Thank you!!

Removing the latch is difficult and not usually necessary. The whole is permanently riveted in. Too disassemble, you must drive out the small pin holding in the latch button, remove the latch button and its spring, make a special tool to compress the latch spring and then unscrew the shaft. It is usually hard to get loose, but it has a screw driver slot on the recessed end. It is a special size thread and I have no parts. Removing the hinge rivet and replacing it is also tricky, you must be able to rivet without causing the shaft to bend and bind the latch from swinging. Is there a reason for wanting to disassemble one?

Thanks for the response Mr Scott! Really appreciate it.

I didn't know the latch was so tricky to take apart. I thought it would be easy after driving out the pin. The reason for me wanting to disassemble the latch assembly is because I would like to send the receiver out stripped so it can be reparkerized(mine is blued). Can they still be reparkerized with out having to disassemble the latch assembly? Will the parkerizing have any negative impact on the plunger and springs? Please let me know. TIA! :)

Thanks for the response Mr Scott! Really appreciate it.

I didn't know the latch was so tricky to take apart. I thought it would be easy after driving out the pin. The reason for me wanting to disassemble the latch assembly is because I would like to send the receiver out stripped so it can be reparkerized(mine is blued). Can they still be reparkerized with out having to disassemble the latch assembly? Will the parkerizing have any negative impact on the plunger and springs? Please let me know. TIA! :)

Gonzo- A number of years ago, I assembled one of my Johnson's from parts, because I wanted to better understand how it interacted & worked. After finding all the parts from friends on this board, e-Bay and various companies & other individuals, I was able to complete it. The receiver was obtained from an aquaintence, formally on this board. When I received it, I found @ some time in its history, it had been re-parkerized, but still was a very good color match, to other Johnson's original parkerization. To make a long story short & too answer your question- The Barrel Latch Assembly was apparently left on the receiver & everything was re-parkerized together. This included ALL the following parts of the barrel latch assembly. Latch spring guide, barrel latch, return spring plunger, barrel return spring, latch hinge pin, detent retainer pin, detent & detent spring. They are all parkerized. This latch assembly works just fine, because I recently fired this Johnson & later removed(by depressing the detent) the barrel from the receiver. I also checked, two spare barrel latch assemblies I have, that appear to be original. Everything, but the barrel return spring on one of them, is parkerized.

TomW

Parkerizing an assembled latch will not effect it. However, bead/sand blasting material gets into every crevice and must be excluded by masking or you will need to disassemble for cleaning. Ask whomever is doing the job how they will keep it clean.