Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sinker4

6 posts in this topic

Hello I am getting a 1941 Johnson and know very little about them so are there any books you would recomend? The serial number is 3428, what number should match if any and what does NPC represent? Thanks Bob

Here is the data on JSAR 3428:

Received from Cranston Arms 12/18/41

Stock # not listed

BBL # 8577E

Hammer block # 5642

Hammer # 7560

Bolt # 7738

Locking cam # 3789

Firing Pin # 6156

Extractor # 3643

Magazine # 5829

Transferred from JAMCO to NPC (Netherlands Purchasing Commission) 12/20/41

NPC, as noted in the serial number/parts numbers post, stands for Netherlands Purchasing Commission.

Prior to the passage of the Lend-Lease Act and prior to the U.S. entry into World War II, numerous countries sent agents to the United States to purchase both civilian goods and military goods from various manufacturers. These countries, including Britain, France, China, Sweden, the Netherlands, and the USSR, sent government officials to contract with these manufacturers, obtain appropriate export licenses, and -- in many instances -- set up shipping or export agencies. (The Netherlands set up the New Netherland Co., Inc., which acted as the "freight forwarding" agent -- contracting with shipping lines -- for goods purchased by the NPC.

Interestingly, the USSR had a number of entities purchasing materiel in the U.S.: a purchasing commission, Carp Exports (an American citizen who was the brother-in-law of Molotov ran this company which ended its purchasing activities for the USSR by 1942 or '43), and, of course, Amtorg.

Though these purchasing commissions remained active in the U.S. throughout the war, they usually conducted business through the Lend-Lease Administration or through the Foreign Economic Administration (not sure this is the correct name), an entity that was handling sales (generally) to South America.

I know this is probably more info than ANYONE needs (or wants), but the supplying of munitions, arms, etc. to allied nations has often been ignored or forgotten by military historians.

Bob L.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll get back to you all after I receive the rifle and look it over. If this rifle is missing the bolt hold open device where can I get the parts? Thanks Bob

Thanks very much for the info. I'll get back to you all after I receive the rifle and look it over. If this rifle is missing the bolt hold open device where can I get the parts? Thanks Bob

Joseph Scott has them and I would check your recoil spring length as it should be 12" OAL. He has these also. I suggest you get his excellent DVD.