Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

New inspection mark?

5 posts in this topic

I received a trigger guard which has what appears to be an inspection mark on the bottom of the finger guard. It is a six point star with all points meeting in the middle. The star over the Cranston Arms logo is a five point which is only an outline(empty center). The finish seems to be original. Has anyone seen such a mark? Does anyone have a list of the factory required inspection marks?

I'm not quite sure, from your description, as to what the mark looks like.

Over the years, I've seen SOME JSAR parts marked with what looks like an askerist (spelling?) or like this: *

Because the mark is not "uniformly" applied, I wonder if they might not reflect subcontractor marks being checked for interchangability. Sorry for the pure speculative offering, but I sort of doubt that they were JAMCO or Cranston Arms markings. Unfortunately, I was never able to determine what entity made what part. I know that Revere (makers of tableware) manufactured some parts and there were probably other subcontractors. I suspect that Cranston Arms was manufacturing parts made from forgings rather than those parts made by stamping (mag housings and internal mag parts, take-down pins, possibly trigger guards, and maybe the radiator sleeve -- not stamped but drilled).

We all have to keep in mind that the JSAR was designed by production engineers with full interchangability of parts between the weapons. At the time, I believe that was not the norm for the firearms industry.

Bob L.

FY All -- Having spent several years in the textile trade, I am certain (but withouit proof thereof) that the mags were made by Universal Winding (later Leesona Corp). as that company made yarn rewinders with exactly the same stamped steel for their housings and also made internal machined parts for textile processing equipment. I would venture to say they produced the entire magazine. They of course also housed JSAR production facilities.

Best regards,

John D.

FY All -- Having spent several years in the textile trade, I am certain (but withouit proof thereof) that the mags were made by Universal Winding (later Leesona Corp). as that company made yarn rewinders with exactly the same stamped steel for their housings and also made internal machined parts for textile processing equipment. I would venture to say they produced the entire magazine. They of course also housed JSAR production facilities.

Best regards,

John D.

Many, many thanks, John! This is info that I didn't have and am not sure that others have. When venturing from firearms into other industries, it is difficult to correlate the two without guessing. I have no idea of what a winder or rewinder looks like and it was extremely difficult for me to make even educated guesses as to what Universal Winding "normally" produced. I'm not sure anyone has yet determined what Revere made for the Johnson weapons. . .

Bob Lamoreaux

Bob:

From the Johnson website itself - just checked it again - http://www.johnsonautomatics.com/plant.htm it describes Universal Windings making M1 parts subcontracting to another company to include bolts, receivers etc. and a manufacturer's code U-W on made parts. There is an excerpt from the contract holder mentioning the precision needed for making textile high speed converting equipment for arms production and it's dated 1943. It all makes sense.........again, best to all on this notable day.

We Will Not Forget 9-11.................... John D.