Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John D. Kopke

41 Johnson Sniper

5 posts in this topic

In my research, I've never come across reference to or a photo of a Johnson sniper rifle. At least one "purpose-made" and produced. Now watch someone prove me wrong! <_<

I don't know that you could call them "snipers" but the CIA backed and armed Cuban insurrectos at the Bay of Pigs were armed with scoped JSARs as seen in this photo reportedly from Time magazine ka233c.jpg These of course are "aftermarket" rather than factory. There is an as yet unwritten history of JSARs and JLMGs, their modification and use, after they were sold by the Dutch.

I wonder if the Cuban rifles had Winfield scope mounts like the "Deluxe Sporter" or maybe they were modified by Winfield?

I don't know that you could call them "snipers" but the CIA backed and armed Cuban insurrectos at the Bay of Pigs were armed with scoped JSARs as seen in this photo reportedly from Time magazine ka233c.jpg These of course are "aftermarket" rather than factory. There is an as yet unwritten history of JSARs and JLMGs, their modification and use, after they were sold by the Dutch.

I believe the photo is of members of "Alpha 66", a Cuban freedom fighter group, training in South Florida. I think this photo was taken in conjunction with a Life magazine article, and may have been post-Bay of Pigs.

Interestingly, I never saw a photo of Johnson rifles or lmgs in the hands of the BOP invaders. The small arms seemed to have been pretty straight obsolete -- forgive my use of that word -- U.S. small arms: M1 Garands, carbines, 1919A6 (maybe some A4s, as well) and possibly some Ma Deuces.

I'd really like to know more about the arming of U.S. backed Cuban groups, but suspect that I'll be long gone before that becomes declassified.