Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnny mac

Johnson 1941 Questions

2 posts in this topic

Hello, and thank you for a great site. I am not much of a gun guy, but I bought this Johnson 30-06 # 5985 at an auction, and don't really know which direction to go in. My rifle has no stocks, but otherwise complete, and original, I am startint to look at all the numbers to confirm originality. It has all working components on it, a couple of springs seem "weak" the sights are intact as is the bayonet lug. Would you guys think I should take the time and try to find all the restoration stocks and springs, then have someone restore it, or just put it together and make it functional, and leave the original patina intact. Or just try and sell it, how would one go about that, I am not familiar with all the laws, would it be easier to take to a gun show, say in Syracuse NY and offer it there? What would determine a fair starting price? The reason I bought it was I felt it was neat and something special, and I have found out it is. And I can't figure a better place to discuss it than here, where there is a passion for this weapon. Any help or advice would be great, and again, thank you for this site and your members. John

Here is the story on your Johnson with respect to original component numbers:

Received from Cranston Arms 2/18/42

Stock #2

BBL #8947E

Hammer block # 7421

Hammer #1787A

Bolt #8290

Locking cam #8849

Firing pin # 7082

Extractor #7082

Extractor #4521

Magazine #A1922

Transferred to Netherlands Purchasing Commission 2/20/42

You have a number of choices: sell the barreled action as is, part it out, restore it yourself with a replacement stock (original stocks are almost impossible to find), send it to a professional Johnson restorer (like Joseph Scott who posts on this site) for proper restoration of form and function...my recommendation. You can post some pictures and we can give you an idea of the cost of the restoration and the approximate value restored.