Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtR

OFF TOPIC: Memorial Day

3 posts in this topic

It is with some trepidation and mixed emotions that I enter this Memorial Weekend, remembering those who have gone before us; those who have served and given the ultimate sacrifice. All of us who have served and known someone who did not return know the emotions and feelings of loss I speak of.

My oldest daughter, who recently graduated from college, has joined the Army National Guard and leaves Tuesday for Basic Combat Training. After 10 weeks of basic, she will then go on to 16 weeks of AIT to become a Combat Medic (68W). I laud her for her reason to join. She wants to serve her country and give back some to the community. She is already a Nationally Certified EMT-B and wants to pursue the same in the ARMY. How she reached this choice for a possible future career from 4 years of Theater Arts I am not sure by any stretch of the imagination. I can only take temporarily comfort in knowing that the local medical unit, to which she will be assigned upon graduation, has recently been deployed overseas, and when they return, should not redeploy for approximately 2 years.

Let's all remember our brothers and sisters serving in Uniform this weekend, and wish them a speedy and safe return!

ArtR

She is in our prayers, Art. As for predicting someones career, I was (briefly) a Sociology major in College and ended up making guns, selling alarm system equipment and now work in a psychiatric hospital. Go figure. And the only difference between me and the clients I help? I wear a badge. Otherwise, I'm just as nutty as they are. Happy Memorial Day to all! :P

Update:

My daughter recently completed training as a Combat Medic (68W) October 29th and returned to Vermont and was transferred to her ARMY Guard unit the following weekend. On November 12th, her boyfriend returned to Vermont after a year in Afghanistan. They are busy looking for jobs, planning a wedding, and possible further education.