Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
r142

barrel assembly

5 posts in this topic

okay please help. my father finally took the 1941 johnson rifle out that i bought him a year ago. he removed the barrel to clean it using a bullet as shown in the instructions. he can not get the barrel lock to close/ lock and does not want to force it closed. Also wether the safty is on or off he can not get the bolt to stay open. please tell me this is a simple fix. I was finally able to afford a johnson rifle for him and now it is nonfunctional. thanks for your help. until it was taken apart it fired and operated perfect.

The rifle may or may not have a bolt hold open (bolt stop). Not all did.

If it did have one, it is also possible it simply didn't make it back into the rifle at some point.

On installing the barrel, it has to be in the radiator to just the right depth or the latch won't swing up fully to latch. With mine, the collar comes just a hair below flush with the end of the radiator when it's just right.

The first time I put mine back in, it gave me fits. I thought it had to be flush (what I based that on, I don't know now). That was not much off from "the spot", but just enough that it wouldn't go.

okay please help. my father finally took the 1941 johnson rifle out that i bought him a year ago. he removed the barrel to clean it using a bullet as shown in the instructions. he can not get the barrel lock to close/ lock and does not want to force it closed. Also wether the safty is on or off he can not get the bolt to stay open. please tell me this is a simple fix. I was finally able to afford a johnson rifle for him and now it is nonfunctional. thanks for your help. until it was taken apart it fired and operated perfect.

Start with the barrel collar flush with the radiator opening (see pic) and put light upward pressure on the latch. Slowly press back the barrel with the other hand as you keep light pressure; and when the right spot is reached, it will slide right up and lock.

It's still possible that you have a bolt hold in the weapon but it is not engaging properly due to the retracting and subsequent replacement of the trigger block/butt stock lower section back onto the receiver during reassenbly without depressing the magazine door. You'll need to learn how to slide that back to see if one is there and then close her up correctly.

diggerj

Start with the barrel collar flush with the radiator opening (see pic) and put light upward pressure on the latch. Slowly press back the barrel with the other hand as you keep light pressure; and when the right spot is reached, it will slide right up and lock.

It's still possible that you have a bolt hold in the weapon but it is not engaging properly due to the retracting and subsequent replacement of the trigger block/butt stock lower section back onto the receiver during reassenbly without depressing the magazine door. You'll need to learn how to slide that back to see if one is there and then close her up correctly.

diggerj

post-259-0-61288300-1288960961_thumb.jpg