Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

New lugs and sights

3 posts in this topic

I have been sent new purchased bayonet lugs to install. The lugs look great but vary the inside diameter, some over, some undersize. I don't know where they come from but their quality control is poor. Sometimes I see original lugs that have the tapered pin holes drilled straight through and/or the pins have been punched out with oversized punches. They usually show signs of having been beat off the old barrel with a hammer instead of being pressed off. You get what you pay for.

Joseph- What is the correct diameter on a bayonet lug? I measured two of my extra bayonet lugs and found that they both had an inside diameter of 0.61 inch. One also did show evidence, that an over sized punch was used to remove it. I also remember, that you complained at the time, that one of the bayonet lugs I sent you, (for a new barrel) had over sized holes punched through it. Your barrel and lug installation came out great.

Bayonet lugs should be .5905" inside. Front sights are .5605". Each should be a light press fit on barrel. As inside diameters are a little hard to measure accurately, I bought a set of precision gage pins for each. Each set of three are .590", .591", .592" and .560", .561", .562". Parts should accept the smaller but not the middle size gages. The taper pins are #2/0. The drilled hole for reaming is 1/8". When used parts are drilled oversize,

straight-though, for different pins, I cannot install the correct taper pins.