Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New to me 1941

7 posts in this topic

I just purchased my second johnson and I need some help in telling witch one has a origional barrel.I would do pics if I could. One has faint signs of garand rear barrel clip one does not. One has a retaining collar behind the foreward bushing the other does not. Also one has 30-06 on top and 41 on the bottom and to the side an M is stamped. I know this is little to go on but thanks for any help paul

I think it would be much better to say #1 has all these attributes and #2 has these attributes, as I cannot keep track of which one you are comparing

The barrel with the small groove along the chamber is an aftermarket replacement made from a Garand barrel. Original barrels are stamped J. A. and .30-06 and have a small serial number which matches the rear collar number. The spacer behind the center collar indicates the chamber was recut and the rear collar was moved forward and the center collar was moved the same amount with the spacer behind it. I have seen a few originals with this and believe it was necessary whenever they got a bad ream of the chamber on first try. I have done the same when I get a barrel with excess headspace.

Thanks Joseph, #1 has the J A and 30-06 and the serial numbers as you stated. #2 has the faint lines from what I think are clip marks and the bushing behind the center collar. This 41 has a new stock that joseph supplied and fits as well as the all origional new 41 I just bought. Thanks for your help joseph, paul