Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ridge Runner

Help! I found an incomplete Johnson for $2000

5 posts in this topic

I found a Johnson Automatic rifle at a local gun store for $2000. I have never seen one in person before and am not that familar with them. Is this the real deal and worth fixing?

Serial number is B2490 and the bolt is B4964.

Is says on the receiver "Johnson Automatics" Model of 1941 Made in Providence, R.I., U.S.A. It also says, "Cal 30-06 Semi-auto."

On the rear of the receiver, there is an upside down triangle with a star above it. In the triangle it states Cranston Arms Co.

The stock has been cut down on it and a rubber butt pad installed. There is no rear sling swivel and no bayonet lug. There is also no front sight guards. Other than that, the rifle appears to be in great shape.

Is this the real deal? Is it worth $2000? Can I even get parts to restore it?

Any information or help would be appreciated. I am a newbie and never thought I would ever see or find one of these.

Ridge,

I'd say if you want it, go for it! It sounds to me like the beginings of a great shooter. Guarantee when you go to the range you will have a crowd around the first time you light this thing off. These rifles will only increase in value. Parts can still be found around the net and from Joe Scott. With prices upward near 5-6K or higher for an original. 2K is not a bad price for a starter JR. Go with cash sometimes a dealer may come down (for cash) in their selling price depending on what he took it in for.

Before you fire this weapon I would take it to a reliable gunsmith for a check out. This way it will be safe to fire unless you can do this your self. Another suggestion is to pick up "The Book" and get your self educated on the Johnson. There is a wealth of knowledge in this book. There are a number of great guys associated with this site who can help you (including myself) with your JR.

Good Luck

Walt B)

Thank you for the response. I really do appreciate it. I have a few M1 Garands, 1903a3's and M1 Carbines. This seemed to really help out the collection.

I will be trading in several rifles and shotguns towards it (none of the above listed). I will probably only pay about $800 out of pocket. It is on hold at the moment until I verify what it is.

The gunsmith onsite has said the rifle is in safe, working condition and offered to let me fire two shots from it to confirm. They have also offered a 100% money back gaurntee if it is not safe or fails to shoot. I have had good luck with them in the past.

A few more questions.....

Who is Joe Scott?

What should I be aware of when inspecting the rifle? What markings are important?

Is Joe Scott a gunsmith that can fix or repair a Johnson should it break?

Is $2000 reasonable for what I have described? What additional information would I need to find out about it to justify the price?The bolt would not hold open, so I could not really get a good look at the barrel - It did still have clear goves in it.

It looks like I will need a new bayonet lug and pins, new front sight installation and pins, a butt swivel and screws, a butt plate with screws and finally, a reproduciton butt stock. The butt stock can wait for a little while, but I would like to restore it. I will also need to find a reproduction bayonet.................boy, this sounds like it will get even more expensive.

How expensive would it be to install a bayonet lug and correct front sight to the rifle?

I never thought I would find one and was never really looking for one. I was caught totally off guard. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

I agree with Walt... for $2k for a "complete" JSAR, even though modified, is a deal. To "restore" it could cost, but to bring it back to "like original" condition may not be as much. Joe Scott is a good source for replacement, Joe Scott MFG, parts. He even sells complete barrel assembly's (includes bayo lug) ready to shoot. Visit Joe's web site (http://www.pernet.net/~jmscott). You can find replacement, not original, stocks. Watch the auction sites. Occasionally you will run into an original stock or forestock. Be prepared to pay for either. Also, get a copy of the "book", "Johnson Rifles and Machine Guns" by Bruce Canfield with Robert Lamouraux and Edward R Johnson, (Mevin's son). This is truly a great resource and companion for your find. Also, all the contributors to this web forum are a wealth of knowledge and help. Welcome aboard.

ArtR

Update

I looked at the Johnson closely agin yesterday. The front sight is not a commerical ramp sight at all but the original front sight set up with the protective "wings" filed or cut off. The two pins holding the front sight are still in place.

The barrel muzzle is really tight. I took a M2 Ball cartridge and stuck it in and was very pleased with what I saw.

The stock is wierd. It looks like it should be the proper length, but there is no butt swivel at all on it, or evidence of there ever being one. The rubber recoil pad states "Winefred?" and is nice but used.

There seems to be a wood plug done on the right side of the buttstock. It was done very nicely and is only noticeable upon close inspection.

Thre front forend has a hole clean through it just in front of the rotary magazine.

The blueing on the rotary magine is very nice, old blue and is excellent. There are no dings in it at all.

The overall condition of the wood is great (IMHO). There are some handling marks, but no cracks or "hard" ware marks. The color of both the stock and forend is evenly matched and is a light brown. It is not a reddish brown that I have seen on may WWII rifles. Could these be original but altered?????

This is now the second time I have looked at it and I am even more pleased with it. I will definately buy it. I put it on hold this weekend but when I went to the gunstore again to look at it, the tag with my name on it had fallen OFF!!!!!! I about had a minor stroke!!!!! Instead was the name of another guy and his phone number with a note stating that if this did not sell to call him!!!!!! I had that corrected.

I have got to get that thing out of there ASAP!!!!! I am going in this saturday with a few more guns and some ammo to trade towards it.

If anyone here could provide some additional comments or information on my findings I would appreciate it. I am sending away for a book and video on this rifle soon.