Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CharlieFoster

How to make a new barrel for a Johnson

5 posts in this topic

I have a lathe and end mill and would like to order some contoured blanks from Midway for 25-06 and 270. I have ordered some locking collars and figure it doesn't look to hard to make the front piece. I have a original condition 1941 and a Winfield with the Lyman peep sight and that is the one I am thinking of playing with. It have a 22" sporter 06 barrel.

1. What is the ideal weight range to look at. I know the impulse has to be between 35-50,000 psi.

2. What is the thread pitch used for the locking collar or does anyone know if the tech specs exist.

3. I planned on using 1917 Enfield sights since they are available, are there any other sights that would work.

Thanks for the information.

Charlie Foster

The midway blanks are too heavy a taper and cutting a taper on a barrel is not very easy. Thread is 1"-16. I have new front sights and lugs . It your sporter has a good bore, it is best to use that barrel and install sight and lug. I have a miltiary style .270 barrel made many years ago, It needs sight and lug installed as I sold those long ago.

Really they are to heavy, even the sporter configurations? I would be interested in the 270 barrel, is the lug for the bayonet or something else? I would probably purchase or have you install the front sight and if the bayonet lug there probably is a slot in the barrel so would want that as well.

So, are there any commercial barrel blanks that in your experience would work? I'm guessing from my original Johnson barrel you are looking at 2 1/2 pounds or so.

Charlie Foster

I bought three of their lightest weight taper and have not used them yet. I can't say if they would work as sold but I wanted to make them same as original. I don't have a taper attachment on my lathe and it is next to impossible to hand taper it. On the .270 barrel, it is parked and had a bayonet lug and military sight on it. I have new ones to replace the missing parts.