Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bostonbound

As Built vs Current Serial Numbers

1 post in this topic

I recently purcased JSAR SN 8164. By the kindness of Brian Alpert and Joe Scott, I found out the original set of part serial numbers for my rifle, and was able to disassemble it and determine the current part serial numbers.

I also installed a bolt catch and front sight pins purchased from Mr. Scott.

JSAR SN 8164

Received from Cranston Arms 2/24/42

As Built Current

Stock 2 2

Barrel 8061E 5072G

Hammer block 7748 7700

Hammer 8901 1290A

Bolt A0151 7420

Locking cam 6837 A0355

Firing pin A1038 K4355

Extractor 5674 9026

Magazine A3671 A3671

Transferred to NPC 2/25/42

The rear sight, per Mr. Scott's video, appears to by the third type, with the reinforced dovetail. Per correspondense with Mr. Scott the sight has the characteristics of an actual Johnson factory part, not a reproduction.

I am not sure that the part I listed as the "hammer block" is in fact that part, on a different rifle I would call this part the trigger housing, and in the NRA Guidebook to Shoulder Arms ((1972), page 144, it is identified as the sear housing.

It appears to me that the rifle was overhauled at some time, with new Johnson factory parts installed. I believe that there is no way of telling if this was done by a government, or by a collector. I am pleased that the rifle appears to have no aftermarket or reproduction parts that I can tell.

There is a star mark on the barrel, similar to the Dutch star above the Cranston triangle. Might this indicate that the barrel was installed by the Dutch in a rebuild?

Many thanks in advance for all comments.

Many additional thanks to Mr. Scott and Mr. Alpert.