Joseph Scott

LMG magazine carrier assembly

11 posts in this topic

I am having someone make a few of the magazine carrier assemblies that fit in place of the rotary mag so a semi-auto rifle can be made into a look-a-like LMG. Maker is a wizard at making dies for forming the complex metal pieces of the assembly. Cost will range from $1500 down to $1200 depending on number made. I will do the "parking". Let me know if you are interested or have a LMG parts kit to sell. Joe

Will these be able to mount on a std. rifle and convert it to use 20 rd mags , then be removable to convert back to normal ? Or will these be only able to fit in a more or less permanant conversion ? I've been trying to connect with a JLMG for several decades but have not been able to get a gun for sale and funds at the same time. I have about 15-20 mags put away from back in the 80's and it would be fun to get a little use out of them if I could.

As an aside note , I've been told that the semi-auto sideplates for the ANM2 .30 BMGs should be ready late next year . I will be building two USMC Iwo Jima "Stingers" from my two parts kits , and I would be willing to trade one for a JLMG copy , if anyone has any interest .

Chris

Chris, these will be like originals and require modifying rifle receiver by cutting off the left side mag mounts and flattening bottom of receiver. The rotary magazines do not interchange. Joe

Can I ask the status of this project?

All of the top metal dies are complete and tops made. They are extremely well done with all curves and angles correct. 90% of bottom dies are done and he should be forming some for fit in next 2 weeks. I hope to have parts to show at Tulsa gun show April 5-7. i will have to machine the end mounting pieces myself, weld them on and "park" assemblies. The die man has spent much too much effort but he knows how to form metal correctly. Glad work was on a bid. Work is about a year behind estimated date. I hope to have some to sell by summer.

Is there a status update? Also, I'd rather do my own parkerizing so it will match my receiver Thanks Rob S in PA

I went to see him this week and he is shooting to finish them within a month. I will have to add the front and back mounting steel parts. So far he has made about 16 various dies for the work, they will be extremely like the originals. The delays have been disappointing but typical for small orders for a shop. I would have approached the job different by having pieces water-jet cut and then hand bend them over a form. I tried but I could not form the hinges. His work is much more precise (and costly) but will be worth it. Have patience.

It's been another month. How about a status update, Joe? Thanks Rob

I visited him 8/10 and checked progress. H has all the tops done, the bottoms cut out and ready to bend, the end pieces and bottom braces cut out, dies made and ready to press form. The door and hinges are next. His wife has been severely ill and restricting his shop time. Will report next month.

Thanks for the update, Joe