John D.Kopke

1941 JOHNSON Recomended Spare Parts.

29 posts in this topic

Numrich/ gun parts corp has extractors.

Check your firing pin to make sure the spring and retainer are present. My rifle was missing the spring when I got it.

Good Day,

I've had my 1941 Johnson for over 20 years.  It was purchased from an elderly gentleman in South Miami.  He implied he had kept it after, and I paraphrase, trying to get rid of Castro in the 60's.  I took this to mean he had been a member of Alpha 66 (or similar group) and this was likely the rifle he had trained with. I mostly ascribe to the "buy the rifle, not the story" idea but in this case, the man, the circumstances, and the rifle seemed to align.  I'll let others come to their own conclusions. It retains its original configuration and by all accounts has never been refinished.

The rifle has gone to Camp Perry with me on various occasions.  I shot it in the Garand Matches.  At times I felt sorry for the guy two spots over from me (on the firing line) as the cartridges were ejected at a 90 degree angle and invariably landed right on their necks and down their shooting jackets. The accuracy was acceptable but I never was in the medal round with it. 

When I purchased this rifle originally, a advanced collector I knew asked if I had looked under the butt plate.  To my surprise I found a green waxed paper tube containing a spare extractor and firing pin assembly in one of the stock lightening holes. The individual indicated he had seen this on a very small number of rifles but had no information the origins of the spares or why.

On an aside, I hope Mr. Scott can fix his email.  I too would like a spare recoil spring since mine is certainly the original and a replacement/spare will provide many more years of enjoyment.

Regards,

Mike

zTJfoEgl.jpg620cGEyl.jpgzzKtAq1l.jpgY0SB3dfl.jpgFNjZovrl.jpgRyvXAfMl.jpg

My replacement spring arrived today. Here is a picture with a machinist rule and the old spring. The coil diameter is about .050 the same as the spring that came with my rifle. However, the number of coils is different: 62 vs 65, old spring vs. new spring. The new spring is 12” long.

0FF0A9A7-DB67-427D-BF42-FA57AFEB5C84.jpeg

WOW, now that is a very nice rifle. I've probably got a couple of rifles which have never had the butt plate taken off. I think I'll go look in the safe!