Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Scott

Shooting original barrels

4 posts in this topic

I received several questions concerning "saving" their original barrels. Most damage to barrels occurred long ago by shooting corrosive ammo and not cleaning bore and chamber. If you shoot surplus ammo, it is best to assume it might have corrosive primers and clean barrel to remove the salts left behind. The best way to remove these salts is with hot water. Clean with a patch and then run hot water through from chamber end. Dry with clean patches paying attention to chamber area. Then clean, oil or treat as you desire. Wipe chamber dry before shooting or you will get a hard ejection. Oiled chambers will not let the case grab the walls when fired and then shrink back as all brass cases are designed to do. This expansion is what seals the gases into barrel. You will not hurt a barrel by shooting, if you clean it.

. . . Then clean, oil or treat as you desire. Wipe chamber dry before shooting or you will get a hard ejection. Oiled chambers will not let the case grab the walls when fired and then shrink back as all brass cases are designed to do. This expansion is what seals the gases into barrel. You will not hurt a barrel by shooting, if you clean it.

Unlocking starts AFTER the bullet leaves the muzzle. Case opturation has nothing to do with "hard" ejection. That's caused by worn out guns and weak recoil springs. After just a few rounds any residual lube is gone, anyway.

Years ago I saw an ad for a "mint" M1941. I thought, 'Yeah, sure' and ordered the gun. Sure enough, it showed up and was indeed in original unissued condition. Recoil is mild, and the gun piles fired cases just a couple of feet away. The action seems to cycle gently, almost as an afterthought. There's none of the violent action that others complain of. The gun certainly doesn't fling cases to the other end of the firing line. That's the difference, I think, between a gun that's functioning as designed and one that isn't.

Really ? So , with all those Jap machine guns that would not operate dry but will operate when the case is lubed , the working has nothing to do with the oiled case ? Pray tell , what is it then ?

Chris