Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve(WA)

Barrel number question

13 posts in this topic

Hi all.... I just noticed the barrel on my new Johnson matches the serial. I never looked for it because numbers are not supposed to match. The barrel and collar has their own drawing number, but also the same serial number. Bolt and such don't have matching numbers. Talking with the previous owner ( I just bought it recently, was in Winfield stock, new furniture by Mr Scott), the gun can be traced back close to 50 years, so I know it was not recent stampings. Any ideas?

SDC11564_zpsbc7c492d.jpg

SDC11562_zpsbc4202aa.jpg

SDC11558_zps70ad0f1b.jpg

Nice.

The unexpected rarely happens , but when it does , it's when you least expect it.

Old sage's advice.

Chris

The font does appear different than the drawing numbers, Any idea who would have stamped them? Like I mentioned, the gun can be accounted for back to it's Winfield days. Would Winfield have done that? Not sue what the point of Winfield doing it would be, they sporterized many, so I can't imagine why they would care to match up the barrel to the receiver. All the metal has the same finish and wear (no wear, actually). Another one of those interesting Johnson things that may never be answered.

The original stamped numbers were not drawing numbers, drawings called out the factory part number such as R87X, or R1X, which was the receiver assembly. X designated an assembly of parts. It is my belief that the small numbers on parts were a means to keep track of how many items were made for the Dutch order as they were paying for production.

Joe,

If the numbers on the collar and the barrel are different, I assume this means that it is not an original barrel, but one that has been put together from random pants. Your thoughts on this.

Mismatched collar and barrel numbers definitely indicate rebarreling by someone. I know of persons in Houston that in the sixties used to buy parts and assemble guns for sale. Check headspace as per any .30-06. Remove the link from mainspring and close bolt lightly by hand on gages. I have found several rebarreled jobs with short chambers (bolt would not close on 1.940 min gage). Found several that persons had faced off collar trying to reduce headspace. This really screws things up as the extractor doesn't have enough room and sights, etc, are off. Every factory matched set checked good on headspace. They did fine work back then.

Mr Scott and all: the numbers on the collar and barrel match, barrel marked JA and 30-06 etc. Any idea on who would have stamped the serial onto the barrel? Winfield? Dutch?

The collar and barrel on my rifle have different serial numbers but the barrel is an orginal because it has the right markings-JA;

.30-'06; the proof mark with the sword and the right markings on the guide collar (.30-'06 and 41). Also stamped on the barrel, in a different font is the number 882, which in this case does not match the receiver number. There is also the letter J with a top bar on the barrel. There are no numbers that match the prodution log for the receiver number of this rifle. The rifle was purchased from Winfield in1953 and has never been out of the family. My best guess is that the barrel is there fore one that was put together from avalible parts, most likely at Winfield or maybe before they received it. And on goes the fun of owning a "Johnson Semi-Auto".

JEM... I think you are right, some things are just lost to history and we probably won't ever know. But it is fun to get as much history as possible. I wish we still had access to the stock military wood that Winfield "chucked" away to put the sporterized wood on. That still amazes me. And why Winfield thought it would be cool to sell the rifle with the front sling swivel still on, but none fitted to the rear. Even wild game hunters would like to sling their weapon once in a while!

Has anyone noticed other Winfield Sporters with markings like these?

tmsgguy,

The Johnson rifle I have was purchaced from Winfield but is the military, not one of the sporterized versions that they were also selling. Still, that does not answer the questions about the extra markings.

. . . And why Winfield thought it would be cool to sell the rifle with the front sling swivel still on, but none fitted to the rear. Even wild game hunters would like to sling their weapon once in a while!

Thank goodness Winfield didn't grind off the forward swivel mounts on the receivers!