Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Lamoreaux

Miranda Factory in Mexico City

1 post in this topic

As regular readers know, I am doing research on the Mirandas and American Armament Corp. There is absolutely no evidence that I have come across that confirms any factory in Mexico City owned or operated by the Miranda brothers or AAC. While alot more research has to be completed, particularly concerning the World War II and post-War era, my research thus far does not bear out any continuing post-World War II arms business by the Mirandas. This is not to say that they were completely uninvolved in assisting MMJ, Jr. in his JAX (Johnson Export Corp.) endeavors, but all indications are that the Mirandas focused their efforts on other, more profitable business endeavors.

Those of us over 60 remember the "good ol' days" of cheap military surplus. If one looks at the gun magazines of the mid- to late-'50s one sees that milsurplus arms were coming in to their own. (Remember those $9.95 SMLEs? The Harrisburg Gun Show, last weekend - 8/20-21, had tables of these selling for $139.95!)

Anyway, cheap "obsolete" arms were flooding the market - both for governmental buyers (such as Israel) and others (such as the CIA) and there was little need for the "private arms dealer".